Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what age to sell?  (Read 2503 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
what age to sell?
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:43:29 am »
I have 4 kids which I have taken a deposit on.  They were born mid April.  What age do you think they could realistictly go to new home.  The new owners are anxious to have them end of July but last year I hung onto them until 5 months (mainly because I couldn't bear them to go)!  They are all together with mums and other kids but are fed hard feed/hay separately.

What weight do you think they can cope adequately?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: what age to sell?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:49:43 am »
I think it depends if the new owners want them weaned or are happy to bottle feed. If they are on their dams completely, then it would now be very difficult to put them onto the bottle, so I would leave them until August at least with their dams, and then wean them completely before they leave your holding.

Just to make it easier for the new owners I would also make sure that they are ok with people and come to you easily and are happy to be handled/picked up/used to a collar and can be led on a lead. It would just make their transition to a new home so much easier.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:31:32 pm »
I Bought some kids last year and was  going to wait till they were weaned. Someone recommended getting them whilst still on the bottle (they see you as 'mum'). We have very friendly girls as a result, but they were bottle fed.  We collected just after 3 months.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:38 pm »
I have sold and bought kids -ON THE BOTTLE - at three weeks old, but have also bought at six weeks old supposedly on the bottle only too find that kid is not taking said bottle and nearly died of not eating/drinking etc etc... so if you are selling make sure they are either completely and happily on the bottle or are completely and happily weaned...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:46:48 pm »
we had a similar scenario with someone who wanted their weaners early - at 6 weeks instead of 8. i was worried but in the end they agreed to take them early at their own risk.
i would imagine introducing a bottle later on would be difficult. (iv tried it with humans...lol)
we let a goat kid go last year at 4 mths but usually wait til 5 mths. she was eating really well though.
could you not add powdered milk to the hard feed if they wont take a bottle?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:47:22 pm »
I make folk wait for mine til at least 5 months, preferably 6. I think they're better off with their mums and siblings when little, regardless of the milk issue.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:01:06 am »
As has been mentioned by several posts, they must be bottle fed. A good indicator is if you hold the bottle they latch on and drink it all quickly without encouragement or intervention by you. If you have not introduced the kids to the bottle to date then I really don't think it will work. I have kept my kids on their mums but introduced the bottle from a few days old - just 50-100ml whilst their mum finished their feed. One kid was always more keen than the other, but when I did start to milk for my own use (at 4-6 weeks old) by separating over night they were both fine and able to 'self latch' and guzzled their bottles quickly.

Someone explained to me that the role of of goat milker is part mum / part child and the goat needs to accept that dual role of the human handler. Serious goat milker / recorders take the kids off at 7 days which is not what I choose to do. However the goats do need to be handled well which is the role/responsibility of the breeder.  I don't think it is necessary to retain young stock till a 'natural weaned age' - its important they settle well into their new surroundings / family and having bought older goats and kids as well think this is better at a younger age.

I am presuming you are selling two together - if so then that will help reduce stress of the transition to their new home.  Just make sure the new owners know how to feed the  kids to maintain their growth but at this stage mum's milk isn't the dominant nutrition factor. I had a supply of goat milk so it was easy to feed them and in fact I gave them a small bottle till 7 mths (or when the freezer supply ran out/my milkers dried up) - but that was as much for our benefit as the goats! ;) . The one animal my 5yo daughter loves are the goats - and being able to feed the kids was great for getting her involved.

Ultimately you know your goats (and the new owners) so your call but its not an 'age' thing.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS