Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where Can I Buy A Couple Of Goats Inexpensively  (Read 4409 times)

nomadicdonkey

• Joined Jun 2013
Where Can I Buy A Couple Of Goats Inexpensively
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:37:28 am »
I need a pair of goats to clear 0.5 acres of densely overgrown land. Lots of brambles, nettles, vines, shrubs and some trees.  It's so overgrown that the majority of land is inaccessible. It is well fenced, and I understand that I'll have to keep an eye on the tree's to prevent the goats stripping them.

I'd prefer meat goats, as once they've cleared the land they can head over to the BBQ  :innocent: Not too bothered about breed, age, looks. I just need hungry tasty goats!

How long will it take a pair to clear 0.5 acres?  And where is a good place to find decent meat goats at a decent price?  Just to add, eventually I'm planning on getting a pair of pygmy goats for milking, and that I have some recent experience with dairy goats.

Additionally, I'm on the outskirts of London, so any suggestions nearby would be great.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:42:39 am by nomadicdonkey »

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Where Can I Buy A Couple Of Goats Inexpensively
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:25:25 am »
Even a couple of castrates that are big enough to cope with that sort of vegetation will probably cost in the region of £50 -75.
Pygmy goats are not milkers.......average yield approx. 1ltr a day if you are lucky for a very short lactation.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:52 am »
and for Boer/meat goats you would probably pay more....

Also if this is an old garden it may well have Rhododendron or similar in there - highly poisonous for goats. Unless you know what you are doing I would have thought goats are not the best option.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:28:26 am »
Have to agree you would not just be able to stick a couple of goats onto the land and leave them. They would need shelter, the normal every day care , foot trimming etc etc
As for Boer meat goats for a 50% Boer you would expect to pay in the excess of £100 each for them even as wethers as they have a meat value. for 100% Boer you would pay over £300
Definatly think you need to do your homework on keeping goats if you do decided to go down that route
As for pygmys they are def not a milking breed
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:24:02 am by sokel »
Graham

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:32 am »
The fact that the land is so overgrown, it is inaccessible would worry me - who knows what is growing in there, quite likely poisonous evergreens or rhodendrun.
Pygmy goats as well as having a pitiful milk yield are almost impossible to milk - difficult to get under and guineapig teats!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:39:42 am »
Also goats are pretty selective, browsing. So they will maybe leave things you want them to clear. Why not pigs instead?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:30:47 am »
agree with plums 100%...unless you know exactly whats growing in there you could end up with some very ill goats, it really is a misconception that goats are lawnmowers on legs
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 09:42:07 am »
there are usually free goats in the local paper or preloved. be prepared for raising the height of the fence as they can often jump out of standard stock fencing.
alternately a good strimmer with a metal blade would be the quickest and probably cheapest route.
goats will eat poisonous things without hesitation, they have no sense.

nomadicdonkey

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
Thanks for the replies, I should have added that upto £100 is fine per goat.

However,  the possibility of poisonous plants does worry me. On that count alone I'd have to rule it out unless I can go around and identify all the plants. Strimmer it is then.

What about chickens. When I've kept chickens on a lawn before they've shat/ate everything to death. How would they fare in this kind of environment. If I fenced them into small areas and rotated them.  I have outbuilding which I can house them, and I'm prepared to get a flock of 50 plus hens.

Pigs are ruled out, simply because we don't eat them!

:)

nomadicdonkey

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:55:26 am »
there are usually free goats in the local paper or preloved. be prepared for raising the height of the fence as they can often jump out of standard stock fencing.
alternately a good strimmer with a metal blade would be the quickest and probably cheapest route.
goats will eat poisonous things without hesitation, they have no sense.

A brush cutter will be my last resort. There's so much growth, including vertical that it would take a very long time and create a massive pie of brush. 

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 02:40:12 pm »
Why not invest the couple of £100 in two grounds maintenance contractors with brush cutters - they should get through it in no time and maybe leave you change for a few burgers for your BBQ!

nomadicdonkey

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 03:27:19 pm »
Why not invest the couple of £100 in two grounds maintenance contractors with brush cutters - they should get through it in no time and maybe leave you change for a few burgers for your BBQ!

Yes, now I think this is the best route. Shame really, as was hoping for a more 'closed loop' approach. 

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »
What about chickens. When I've kept chickens on a lawn before they've shat/ate everything to death. How would they fare in this kind of environment. If I fenced them into small areas and rotated them.  I have outbuilding which I can house them, and I'm prepared to get a flock of 50 plus hens.

In order to put you off chickens 50 x £8 (free range) plus £200 on feeders plus 1/2 rations £10 a week
plus registration as 50+ oh and an egg printer £1000 (2nd hand) plus 10 hours a week care
or £200 to a pair of contractors  :thinking: :idea:
Good luck

fairbrook

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »
Well I would look at having a few pigs on there for about 3 months. They would clear everything off and you would have some delicious meat in return. All you would need to do then is possibly rotavate the land to get it reasonably level for future use.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS