Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you freeze goats milk?  (Read 7877 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Can you freeze goats milk?
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:06:33 pm »
Our goats only give a pint a day so i was wondering if its ok to freeze it until we have enough to make a good batch of yoghurt and icecream etc or does it ruin it? i know cows milk never tastes the same after being drunk post freezing.
thanks

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Can you freeze goats milk?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »
Well I always freeze milk, both cow and goat, although its always the bought stuff.....I  use goats milk when I ween pups or nursing bitches :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18:17 pm »
Yep, I freeze my goats' milk all summer and autumn , so I have some left when the supply reduces. Because it's naturally homogenised, it freezes and defrosts really well.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:21:11 pm »
thanks. its lovely milk too so looking forward to making something with it rather than coffee  :excited:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:22:43 pm »
I love the summer when I have enough to make cheese  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:42:42 pm »
I love the summer when I have enough to make cheese  ;D

In the summer I have too much milk but not enough time to make cheese, but once the kids are weaned in September I make cheese a couple of times a week.

We do a cream separation every other day, and I try to make icecream regularly though through summer.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:02:52 pm »
It freezes well and doesn't separate on thawing. However, the advice is that it should only be stored for 3 months  in the freezer.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:33 am »
we freeze our excess (when we're not cheese making or baking) in plastic 1 litre bottles, or ice cube bags for when I'm doing some soap  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:00:19 am »
All of our soap milk is frozen and it works very well. Some of it freezes for more than the recommended 3 months with no issues.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 09:11:23 am »
All of our soap milk is frozen and it works very well. Some of it freezes for more than the recommended 3 months with no issues.

Hi Plumseverywhere,

What is the longest you have kept milk for drinking ?  Have you found an upper limit ? I'd like to be able to go for a longer period so any experience would be gratefully received

Cheers

Alan

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 09:53:58 am »
I haven't labelled my bottles up till now so it would be hard to say for sure, but I'm pretty certain we've pushed it to nearer 6 months. I will be labelling bottles with dates from now. I had to buy in some milk once when our milker died and that lasted well over 3 months  :)  You can tell when its gone a little too long as it separates. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 11:07:57 am »
I'm looking for a way to freeze milk but not in plastic bottles. American sites discuss using 'canning jars which can be frozen and boiled - anyone know where I can buy these in the UK?  Shape is also an issue to avoid cracking ie no narrow neck so ordinary glass bottles wont do.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:36 am »
You can buy the tetrapak-type cardboard cartons from Ascott or similar - would those suit?  Otherwise I freeze a lot of mine in repurposed and sterilised Chinese takeaway containers!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:21 pm »
I use old butter/marg tubs so I can weigh out how much milk I'm freezing in ready to pop into the pan soap portions!

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »
I have been reusing water bottles and juice bottles but a bit uncomfortable with hygeine / sterilisation which can do with glass plus also the possibility of chemical leach form plastic bottles.  I found tubs leak and freezer is jammed full so difficult to keep upright.  The ascott containers I think are expensive when you think what a bottle of milk costs to buy - 10/12p for the tetrapacks (plus cost of sealer) - 20p for the plastic bottles if I recall correctly. Plus still adding to the 'plastic mountain' which I'd rather avoid.

I found these:

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/leifheit-preserving-jar-10l-deal/product/

but concerned about freezing milk and its shape.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS