Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milk quality for cheesemaking  (Read 1808 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
milk quality for cheesemaking
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:16 am »
After a few weeks, the joy of cheesemaking every second day has waned.....I need my life back!

However confused.

Some sites say use max 2 day old milk ie yesterdays and todays. But have seen some say up to 3 days old is ok (which would mean 2x weekly cheesemaking sessions). On my c/m course they recommended freezing milk fresh the defrost in fridge. However, I have also seen some say don't use frozen milk for cheesemaking!

The joy of the internet....

Of course this entails trying to balance time / freshness and storage space in the freezer and fridge.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: milk quality for cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:56:18 am »
If you're talking goats' milk it may well freeze okay; cows' milk tends to separate and the cream go into fat globules, which isn't always ideal for subsequent cheesemaking.  Or with cows' milk you could try separating before freezing and store the skimmed and cream separately, then recombine. 

The only real limit on the age of the milk is how contaminated it has become, surely?  For soft cheese you wouldn't want it too old, but for a hard or semi-hard cheese, so long as you don't have any contamination from bacteria that might affect flavour, the maturation process would kill any other contaminating bacteria.  You could always (re)pasteurise before making the cheese if you had any concerns?

Personally, I know our own Jersey milk arrives in the kitchen clean and so long as it's filtered and stored in the fridge quickly and cleanly, lidded, then it's absolutely fine for at least 3 days.

I'd try a batch and see if the flavour is what you want.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS