Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 3314 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Holidays
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:29 am »
I really hate holidays, I have just spent 5 days away from my animals and I can honestly say that after the first day all I wanted was to come home. No amount of fancy hotels or posh meals can beat spending time with the pigs, sheep, goats ,hens ,ducks and horses, and now I have discovered that the family have booked us a week at the end of September so not only am I going to miss my animals but I am also going to miss the show at Lanark which I was looking forward to and had volunteered to help at. Would say that I am not going but my grandchildren would be so disappointed.  :(
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:22:15 am »
Why did they book it without consulting your diary first.  Mine wouldn't dare.  However, I'm going to miss it every year because it's always going to be the same weekend as our Breed Club Weekend, and being Secretary of the Judges Committee I cannot do anything about it.  Our dates are set by the Kennel Club.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:40:31 am »
I think it's quite a cheek to book without asking you first... I have family visitors coming in August, and although I kept telling them August was a bad time (I have been farm sitting every August for the past 4 years), they insisted on coming then. Which will leave me severely stressed out... Not impressed. (How to make yourself unpopular with your family.  ::) )

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 07:11:24 pm »
whats a holiday ? :) we havn't had one for 5 years this year ..but we do have the odd weekend away )

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:30:57 pm »
surprise them by taking all the animals with you Anne, must admit I'm like that too, just wish it was a bit warmer at home then there definately wouldn't be any point in going away  :D 

days here and there are best, or a night away is fine.  every time we've gone away there's always been some sort of disaster  ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:16:47 am »
I'm away Monday and Tuesday night and will miss the chickens a lot. It has to be very important for me to be away -normally it's a morning sightseeing or shopping and that's it.

Seems rather selfish just booking a holiday without consultation then expecting you to drop everything Daisys Mum. Don't they realise you are on holiday every day and leaving that just isn't a holiday for you?

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:21:09 am »
Would say that I am not going but my grandchildren would be so disappointed.  :(

Then say no  >:( . Disappointment is a very good life lesson  :-J . We all experience it ( a little to often) .
 Life is to short to always do what everybody else wants, you have to be a bit selfish sometime.
 Staying home with the animals and going to the Lanark show sounds like a great plan  :thumbsup: . Especially if you've just had a holiday. Two holidays in a year is just greedy  :-J  ( that may just be me being envious, well the  thought of it any way. But in reality I would want to stay home with my chickens )     

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 09:09:08 am »
I don't like going away at all! Its so stressful trying to organise even a long weekend away, I have to sort out animal sitters, someone to look after my disabled mum, pack for 2 adults and 4 kids etc etc.  Then when we went to spain, day 1 we get a phonecall saying "vets coming in, the milkers not well at all....!" aaaaaaagh huge stress, not a lot I can do from Spain!!
we are going to a travellers/hippy camp in August with the trailer, tony will play music and I will sell crystals and maybe some soap  :-J  its only about 15 miles away so I can drive home to milk the goats and if we want to stay all 3 nights we will, if not we'll come home after one. Its totally off grid so cooking will be on a campfire in a skillet/pot, no tv, no internet - bliss!!
I can see why you don't want to upset your grandchildren, they didn't make the plans an dthey will be looking forward to spending holiday time with you. I was the same that age.  Maybe its a life lesson that all holidays need to be liaised about and hopefully your family will do that next year  :fc:  :bouquet:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:24:23 am »
Maybe you can no for this holiday - but offer the grandchildren something else - a visit at yours or so - to make up for their disappointment? Just a suggestion - don't really know enough about your circumstances... :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS