Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boer Billy  (Read 2239 times)

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
Boer Billy
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »
 I have  75% Boer and her 50% Boer daughter (march born), I am looking to breed with both, I might leave the young female until next year (welcome advice on this), as these are our first goats and will be our first time breeding.

Is there any body in the Notts/Lincs area who has a Boer Billy available?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Boer Billy
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 05:25:59 pm »
I know that there was a topknot billy in Lincs but dont have the details on me at the moment. Is your girls registered ?
Most of the billy owners would want your girls to be CAE tested if they are not already done it will be something you will need to look into getting done.
As for the March Kid I would leave her untill next year
Graham

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:20 pm »
I have pm'd you but you could check British Boer Goat Society website for members local to you and the stud goat list.  I too would leave kid til next year.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:31:34 pm »
This autumn is too soon to get your young one in kid. It is usual to do that in their second autumn. She won;t be fully grown yet. If you have them for milk, then taking it in turns ensures you have a decent supply and they only have to give birth every other year. On the other hand, if you are trying to increase your herd, then both of them every year is possible.

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:57 pm »
Thank you for the replies, they are helpful. I think leaving the kid until next autumn is my preferred option.

Both are registered by the breeder, i am in process of joining British goat society and boer goat society.
Do I need to join both??

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:30 pm »
TBH if you are going to concentrate on Boers you only need to be in the BBGS
I am having a senior moment here but if the mum is registered  75% why is her kid only 50% ?
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS