Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big Tent this weekend- Fife  (Read 6400 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Big Tent this weekend- Fife
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 06:25:15 pm »
Well said Annie. How dare anyone think that by buying animals from shitty surrroundings it can be "double standards". By folk like you and I buying these animals and giving them a happy, better and full life these animals enjoy a great life. Last year I rescued 2 goats that were in an appauling condition - by me taking them on was I encouraging the previous owners to go and mistreat more animals???

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 06:28:48 pm »
Great Annie,

Get digging and give them plenty of worms and slugs, plus lots of tomatoes chopped up. and they will soon feather up and fatten -

The poor things have not had real protein or vegetables - or seen the light of day

Good Luck

Julie x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 06:38:21 pm »
I still have 5 of the 6 ex batts I got last year and they are doing great (lost one that was suicidal - jumped the fence on the instructions of a Light Sussex who did the same!  Right into Hester's jaws!)  And I've had ex batts before when I was in Aberdeenshire.  They have had some worms - didn't know what to do with them till I put them on the ground and they saw them wiggling - then they got stuck in  ;D  Also gave them my porridge medicine - rolled oats, hot water, honey, milk and citricidal. Again didn't touch it till I put it in a shiny metal dog bowl.  Now they have come out to see what the world is doing I'll try to get photos.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 06:47:14 pm »
Hi Annie

You know your stuff ;D
The rolled oats and honey works on sheep that have just lambed and are weak too!

Apple Cider Vinegar in the water for Chickens is great.
Only a tea spoon per large plastic drinker - the green based type - per week and it gets feathers shining
and is good for us too - take it in water once a day if possible!

Julie ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:06:09 pm »
Have heard it's good but haven't seen it in supermarkets yet.  Will look again on Tuesday - have grandchildren all day tomorrow while daughter does some painting to finish off their renovation project ready for selling. So I won't be on here till evening!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 07:24:40 pm »
Asda do their own, and it is in Tesco near the vinegars or olive oils and stuff.  I get red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar for chutneys and oils and stuff.

If its not in your supermarket try a health shop or even a large chemist

Julie ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »
Thanks, Julie, will have a better look next time I'm at the shops

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 11:49:36 pm »
Yes its fantastic that you are prepaired to rescue these animals I have no doubt, but why was nothing said at the time so that some thing could have been done there and then. By the way the Lanark sales will be no better, There will be birds of low quality for sale with god knows what wrong with them and people will buy them and the breeders- traders will have more for sale at the next sale and on and on.  All these auctions cover them self by saying than its the responsability of the vendor for the condition and welfare of there birds. I never said anything about shitty conditions your words not mine are you saying that conditions at the sale were shitty. Incensed you may be but I cant see the point in perpetuating the trade of a few who don't care as much as you obviously do, Have you ever thought that you are playing right into these peoples hands buy buying there stock. The best of luck with your letter and a wee note to the SSPCA would not go amiss maybe there presence at a few of these sale will make a difference, but I must say this has all been done before and made no difference at all. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:55:40 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 11:55:09 pm »
I'm actually intending to chat to the SSPCA about it - but I suppose that it is absolutely fine to leave the birds without water for up to 5 hours. I won't be surprised if that's what they tell me....Surely they stick to the rules at these auctions, even if they are not adequate in our eyes.  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS