Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bin inspections  (Read 4408 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
bin inspections
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:58:09 pm »
I just read an article about folks in England complaining about some Council inspecting their bins without letting them know. What do you all think about it?
I personally couldn't care less - I never put any sensitive info in the bin, and we do have a giant bin with 2 small bags of rubbish a week in it, so virtually empty. I know that they do give different sizes of bins on the continent, according to how much rubbish you have. And you pay your council (bin) tax accordingly. And - they don't empty the bins if they find bottles or paper in random inspections! Might be hard for old people.  :&>

sandy

Re: bin inspections
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:06:22 am »
As you know I run a  B&B and am not that keen on sorting guest rubbish, however we often have guests that sor it for me so no problem but I am in and out the house all day with differnt types of rubbish and it wears me out (not really) I also think if you have enimies nearbuy, they could fill your bin with stuff that should not be in there!!!!. How come we need so many bins? I hate sorting rubbish, the worse job in this B&B

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:51:19 am »
We have to drive to our local bins.  I used to be able to walk about 1/2 k. with the wheelbarrow so they moved it to the top of the road, which is far too far.  We recycle cartons and tins.  Bottles have to go to the bottle bank and paper to the paper bank.  There are also bins outside supermarkets for recycled clothing.

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:09:16 am »
We have a blue plastic sack for tins and plastic bottles. Wheelie bin for other rubbish. Collected once a week and it has a chip. So it is weighed as it goes into the truck. We pay once a year, and the last bill ( last week ) was 76 euros. That was for 477 kilos of rubbish. All big items like fridges, old sofas are collected once every three months for free. Or you can take them to the local recycle plant. Paper, magazines, carboard is collected once a month. It all kind of works ok.

If you put something other than plastic bottles and tins in the blue sack, then they refuse to take it. We also have a green wheelie bin for food left overs etc, but we have zero food waste here.

The sheer amount of wrapping and rubbish generated by families now has lead to this nightmare.

I have never seen anyone inspect the inside of the wheelie bin, but they are more than welcome to !!

Kevin

sandy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:49:50 am »
 ???Strange how when I had three young children, a husband, 2 dogs and 2 cats I had less waste then when it was just myself and my partner and 1 dog and we don't eat much tinned stuff only Beans and an occasional something else. One thing I do miss living here is the brilliant Market in Leicester, we would go on Saturday's and get loads of fruit, veg and meat, all good quality and all much cheaper and of course, very little packaging!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:41:59 am »
I think I'm becoming very cynical because I just see ANOTHER way of the government getting cash from us all !
I suspect that before much longer we'll be getting fined for putting the wrong things in the bins......................................let me explain
The UK was given the target of reducing landfill by 60% by, you've guessed it - the EU (or some figure like that) and for every tonne over their target they will be fined - in our area they've halved it already by giving us blue recycling bins and dropping our standard collection to once a fortnight, now I hear we're getting red bins for glass only and I'd imagine after they're in place we'll get our standard bins emptied once every three weeks, going on those figures they should meet the landfill targets BUT what happens to all the rubbish people can't fit in their bins ??????? I suspect fly tipping will become a MASSIVE problem once again >:(  and the bins checks (I think) will become manditory over time and before we know it we'll be paying our council tax and bin fines like good little citizens and the government, once again, will be lining their pockets !
When will the madness end  ???

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:52:05 am »
I'd be happy to have a smaller bin for a smaller charge. Positive encouragement to recycle would be the way forward. What I don't understand is that businesses are apparently not allowed to sort their rubbish but all has to go in their commercial waste bin??? That's what a pub landlord said to my OH, maybe he just can't be bothered to take his cartons and cans elsewhere. :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:07:02 am »
We have to drive a round trip of 18 miles to recycle our cans and bottles, our bin gets emptyed every two weeks and I have a compost bin next to the veg plot. They gaves us another large bin for paper but as they do not accept anything sherded or cardboard we just burn it. As we live in the countryside what i do see alot of these days is fly tipping. I have to check my paddocks every day as people just dump stuff out of their cars. drives me mad but needs to be done to keep the animals safe.  >:(

sandy

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:33:16 am »
I suspected that fly tipping would increase, it was bound to as people do not know what to do with thier waste and they carn't be bothered to spend so much time and effort sorting it. Our bins here changed so extra confusing. We don't have much garden waste but when we do it tend to be trees or bushes so too big for the bin and on the subject of food waste, I don't get much either but none of the animals like mushrooms so they go in the bin when I have them over from breakfasts......Anyway...it's all a load of rubbish!!!! ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:37:44 am »
It seems there are different rules all over the country.  We have brown wheelies for garden waste, blue ones for tins, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, blue boxes for glass, fabric etc, and green wheelies for everything else.  We have clear instructions cards as to what to put where and when each bin goes out for collection.  Larger items will be collected by the Council for a small fee. I see no need for fly tipping in Clackmannan.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:40:42 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:44:08 am »
We don't get a brown one for garden waste BECAUSE we are rural - the discussions we had with the Council...The school is very good, the kids can take plastic and cans there, so no need to drive the 6 miles just for the recycling. I don't have cardboard as I use it in the duck house and garden. Sensitive paper goes in the fire, newspaper gets picked up every 4 weeks. We don't buy takeaways, which make up for a lot of rubbish in the towns.  :&>

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 04:39:02 pm »
You should live over here!  I happen to live slightly (well half a mile off the main road) off the main routes and so can't get anyone to pick up my rubbish.

I have gone from living in London with 3 wheelie Bins to living in Ireland an NO wheelie bins - I have to recycle everything.  Tell you what - it really makes you think before you buy anything - the first thing I think of is 'where can I get rid of the wrappings'. 

Only one good thing - I have applied and got a licence to have a bonfire every week - I think the council are being funny - have you tried burning things in the rain :gloomy:

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:28:26 pm »
How come we need so many bins? I hate sorting rubbish, the worse job in this B&B

There are two common ways to sort rubbish and recycling. The lazy councils invest in more bins and new/adapted trucks with some more man power and get people to sort it themselves. The intelligent councils invest in facilities at their depots and continue to collect just one or two bins from the householders.

The intelligent councils end up with a higher percentage of recycled waste ... what a surprise, eh?

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 12:04:43 am »
Hi,

Happyhippy is quiet correct in that Council's are wanting to fine people for putting the wrong rubbish in the wrong bin.
I have a friend who owns a Rubbish collection company (Although I have heard tonight that he has sold it for €25 MILLION not bad for a company that collects what we through out !!!).
I was talking to him not long ago and he was telling me not only do they want to fine us for putting the waste in the wrong bin, But they (THE GOVERNMENT) want to install a chip in each bin that will tell them what the weight of the bin is and they will charge extra if it goes over a certain weight.
NOW I hear a few of you saying that this is a good idea and will help cut down on waste, BUT around ever Town there is always someone who is willing to help you or your neighbour fill his or her bin by putting their own rubbish in.
I wonder how you would feel if you end up paying for the collection of someone Else's rubbish.
Our local amenity had a bin and we caught a women from SLIGO which is 25 miles away putting her rubbish in, She was fined €1500 for illegal dumping, You might think that this would teach anyone a lesson but the very same woman has been seen again dong the same thing but this time in a private bin.
We have to pay for each bin to be taken away €10 for rubbish and €8 for the recycling stuff, Quiet expensive so I could understand if She was on the bread line BUT she drives a 08 Mercedes convertable, This is why she is so easy to spot because no one has a Mercedes convertable in our village of 250 people.
I would not recommend anyone to throw out any Documents of any kind without shredding them first, You can get a shredder in the likes of ASDA for less than a £10.
I think this is a small price to pay to protect you IDENTITY!!!.
Kind regards
Joe

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS