Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big Tent this weekend- Fife  (Read 6381 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Big Tent this weekend- Fife
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:53:59 pm »
Just a reminder, if you love a good eco festival, do come along. Got lots of free late seed tatties there last year  ;D Great music and grub

http://www.bigtentfestival.co.uk/

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Big Tent this weekend- Fife
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:50:15 am »
My friend's on at us every year to go to this!  She's even having a party tonight so she can try and convince us all to go!  ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:43:37 pm »
tomorrow even the weather's supposed to be decent (last year was fab!), sunday's a good band on in the evening though, maybe it's even worth going with an umbrella!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:16:54 pm »
We'll all be at the Poultry Show on Saturday.  Sorry.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:19:58 pm »
I'll do both, James is taking me along to the poultry sale and from lunchtime in Falkland. Looking forward to a fun day!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 11:24:43 pm »
Ooh, super - looking froward to seeing you, Kerstin!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:13:24 pm »
What a day and not a drop of rain! How lovely to meet you all at the Caledonian!
I found it very informative to have been there, so I know how it all works when I want to buy something maybe next year. I was not all that impressed with the choices of birds I must say, though. And shocked to see how many birds didn't even have water in their cages and how some ducks had torn the thin paper and struggled to stay on the bars...I felt like bidding for them just to get them out of there!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 11:24:28 pm »
My sentiments exactly.  I can't understand why they can't have fixed water bowls and firm bases to the cages.  I'm sure the Mart could recoup the cost of it.  I'm surprised the SSPCA aren't keeping an eye on sales like these.  And some of the birds weren't in great condition either.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 11:27:15 pm »
Quite a few birds were in a bad condition and you are dead right about the state of the cages. I think it disgraceful that so many birds had no water supplied and some of them were probably there from the day before! I think I over paid for my 5 but hey I decided at the start of the day that I wanted them so who cares? I was lucky to get the 3  lots I wanted.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:29:22 pm »
Well they've got a good home now.  I wonder if it's worth writing to the Caley?  MAybe of a few of us complained they might do something about the next one.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 02:37:09 pm »
Cages were all loaned or hired from someone and set up as show cages usually are, most birds would be without water for no longer than 5 hours,  No birds were in the cages over night, Yes some of the birds were not in the best of condition. folks don't usually sell there best birds. All these things are very typical of sales thoughout the country. I would suggest that if you are unfamiliar with this type of poultry sale and you found the conditions not to your liking but you are prepaired to buy from such a sale that there are double standards at work here,
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:51:00 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 02:41:49 pm »
Cages were all loaned or hired from someone and set up as show cages usually are, most birds would be without water for no longer than 5 hours, No birds were in the cages over night, Yes some of the birds were not in the best of condition. all these things are very typical of sale thoughout the country   

Doesn't mean to say that it's right or acceptable though. Annie of you are going to write a letter so will I, only by receiving "pressure" may anything change/improve. The 5 ducks I bought have never seen bread before, they don't have a clue what to do with it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 06:00:29 pm »
Cages were all loaned or hired from someone and set up as show cages usually are, most birds would be without water for no longer than 5 hours,  No birds were in the cages over night, Yes some of the birds were not in the best of condition. folks don't usually sell there best birds. All these things are very typical of sales thoughout the country. I would suggest that if you are unfamiliar with this type of poultry sale and you found the conditions not to your liking but you are prepaired to buy from such a sale that there are double standards at work here,
Just because people buy at these sales does not make it right for them to be prevented from wanting the best for the birds before they buy them.  It is obvious that people would not want to sell their best birds but they should at least ensure they are healthy and well treated.  I am incensed that anyone who was there and communicates on this forum should think that it is all right for any being to be treated in this manner.  I WILL be writing to Caley!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »
Almost all shows here in Ireland loan cages that are used for several different things and not just poultry.

Maybe when you write, suggest that for future shows, the organisers put cardboard bases into the cages for birds that do not perch.

Also small stainless steel dishes or clip on budgie type plastic water bowls should be purchased for use at future shows.

This would be much cheaper than having to purchase their own poultry cages for future events, which does run into thousands, plus cages have to be collapsible for storage reasons too.

Hope this may help you, it is not nice but it happens all over, and it is fair to say that people out their breed birds to make money, and do not part with their best stock.

Alternatively Buy from local breeders like ourselves that do not sell at these events.
You can see the standard of the birds - for sale or not - and the conditions that they live in.
The good breeders will advertise in Practical Poultry or Country Smallholding ( we did - we were called Country Pets then ( 12 months ago for six years or so) - you might see us listed in old copies).

We are always sold out and have lots of enquiries, because of word of mouth, and therefore never need to sell at poultry sales.

We have gone to some Poultry Sales in the North, and the birds have scaly leg, red spider mite, are covered in mud, and brought in wire dog cages - we just do not buy them.

Make sure that you worm your new purchases and check them for scaly leg and red mite before putting them with your other birds.  If you need help we will be happy to help

regards
Julie
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 06:17:53 pm by Tullywood Farm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 06:18:43 pm »
Thanks, Julie, I'll certainly use those ideas in my letter.  Having said that I had a good look at Sandy's 5 black rocks and they looked quite clean and very healthy.  Also Andrew and Janis seemed to know the seller so we reckon they came from a good enough source.  I didn't buy any myself as I was getting my additional ex batts today.  They are a scrawny naked bunch I must say - but they are safe now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS