Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing the Culdee Project  (Read 5019 times)

maryseanand

• Joined Jul 2009
Introducing the Culdee Project
« on: July 21, 2009, 04:41:31 pm »
Hello, I am Rev. Maryse Verkaik-Anand and would like to introduce myself -and the project of Culdees:
8 years ago I bought Boreland farm, 140 acres, overlooking Loch Tay in Bonnie Scotland, to start a 'School of Human Values'.
It is not a school-school, but a 'school of life', where Nature is our Teacher.
We started a charity and the Culdee Vision Statement is:
"To create a space in which children experience first hand the living of Human Values and ethics in order to become balanced individuals, capable of being responsible role-models of the future"
The Culdee Mission Statement is:
"To create a Universal Multi-faith Ecovillage with zero-waste, zero-energy, re-use, re-cycle, re-claim policy where the people adhere to the Human Values of Truth, Righteousness, Peace, Love and Non-Violence and aspire to inspire our children and our children's children, to look what is lacking in our society and instigate a change by setting an example how it can be done;
To create a "school of Life" that encourages us to look beyond-and break through- the limitations of our belief system and embark together on the journey of life: since we all have abilities far beyond what we use, we disicover and joyously investigate the limitless possibilities we are endowed with; to create a buddy-system to stimulate and encourage us to perservere on the chosen path; to find one's own space but be responsible for the whol; to foster children who are 'dealt a wrong hand' in llife and share our abundanc with them"

We have help from volunteers  :farmer: from all over the world; some stay a couple of weeks, others a couple of months, even years.
None of us is experienced in self-sufficient living, but with the help of many Permaculture books and video's and masses of energy between us (or rather, I should say 'them' as I myself am of the older generation and do not have the same 20+ energy as those 25 youngsters surrounding me)

We have pigs:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: for digging, hens :chook: :chook: for the obvious, and a goat :goat: for milking. We make yoghurt and cheese. We adopted four ferral cats :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: but aparently they decided they do not want to stay ferral any longer, as they started depositing presents in front of the door: mainly moles but also rats.
We used to have horses :horse: :horse: :horse:(Boreland farm used to be a horse-riding centre) but I did not like the way the horses were treated by the staff and decided to close the riding part until we have attracted people with the right attitude towards animals: Respect. We do not (yet) have a dog: I am waiting for the right one to come along; one that can cope with an ever-flowing stream of visitors and children and animals without feeling the need to chasing them away and barking it's head off.
There are sheep :sheep: and cows :cow: (not ours) in the fields and when they are removed, we can grow or own rice (yes, it is true: RICE) and oats and barley and hemp :farmer: and of course loads of vegetables :brocolli: :corn: :peas: :cucumber: :spud: :carrot:, for own own use and for the organic market garden we hope to create and for the organic farmshop and coffeeshop we hope to open -once we get more participants in the ecovillage and more shoulders to carry the workload.

We are continuously experimenting: we built a north-facing barn wall from 2-litre softdrink bottles and we just started to make a wall with shredded paper and drinking cans: it looks fantastic!

Well, that is us. If you have any questions, just 'fire away'.

HappyHippy

Re: Introducing the Culdee Project
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »
WOW, you've definately got you hands full !
I'd love to see photos of your barn wall and the can & paper wall - they sound fantastic.
The prospect of rice growing also sounds interesting - we've definately had enough rain here in South Lanarkshire over the last few days to create a few paddy fields!
Do you have a website ? I'd love to come & visit, maybe towards the end of the summer I'll get organised with hubby & kids and manage a trip up.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your projects  ;D

sandy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:48:30 pm »
Welcome, took a look at the web site and the photos are great, how do you fund that stunning place? I also wounder how you keep order? and how do you select who comes? Nice idea but a bit sceptical, a lot of people living together must be difficult at times...looking forward to hearing much more.....maybe people on here will join you in droves...be careful...we will all come a ruin the peace ;D me first ;D

maryseanand

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:04:06 pm »
That is a nice feedback you gave!
We have various websites and a photo album, here they come:
www.culdeesbunkhouse.co.uk ; www.culdees-ecovillage.co.uk
View Culdees photo album here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/MaryseAnand/CuldeesPhotoS

For eco village Manifesto document please use the following link:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17210478/Abstract-of-Culdees-Manifesto

It is a matter of experience to manage this crowd, but it is really fantastic how it is evolving.
If you are interested on how I do it exactly, I can send you the introduction for the volunteers and the house rules; it might give you an idea.
You want to know how it is funded: I believe in this project and in order to let it develop in it's own time, I had to allow the 'growing up' phase. It is like having children, one invests in them and at a certain point they can take care of themselves.
If one has the attitude "what is in it for me?" then one should not do this kind of thing. But if one believes in giving something back to the society which is caring for us, nurturing us, then it is worth every  minute and every penny!
I pay for this buy selling my life insurance and the farm I had in France which I used for growing medicinal plants, and putting every penny I have in this project. I must admit: it is definitely NOT for the faint-hearted and those who need security.
By all means: be welcome to drag hubby and offspring along; it is so beautiful around here, but you can already see that in the pictures.
Maryse

sandy

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:06:17 pm »
Me and my OH wish you all well, what a stunning place to bring up children and to enjoy life!!!!! wow, an inspiration to us all!!!!!!

maryseanand

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:05:37 pm »
Thank you Sandy for your well-wishes.
You are always welcome for a cupper and look around; that invitation goes for all of you who read this.
maryse

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:25:55 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Kindest regards
Joe :)

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »
Hello and welcome

Now I have come across you before in Permaculture magazine - do you run permaculture courses?

Ed ;D
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:36:01 pm »
Hi ED, I just heard that Monimail is planning to spread the course next year over several weekends - for all the folks who can't do a residential over a few weeks , like us! The wee talk was very interesting the other week. Hope you enjoyed your holiday! We would like to visit Maryse some time in August during the school holidays, how about you?  :&> :&>
 NFD

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »
Hi NFD - that indeed is great news!! A visit to Mary's would be great - when were you thinking? I am running outta time but.......

ED
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 07:39:10 pm »
My mum will be here from this coming Friday. I'd like to take her out to nice places or she'll feel she has to clean the house and do the garden...It would be nice for her. How's the week after the 10th or are you back at work then already?  :&>

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 04:44:39 pm »
Hi and good luck with the project, I am living in France and wish you well, keep us posted please.

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS