Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thanx to everyone that welcomed me.  (Read 3163 times)

dorisdolittle

Thanx to everyone that welcomed me.
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:59 pm »
 ;D  I live in the north east. I look after various animals my favourite being goats if i had my own land i would have loads of them.The ones i look after are mainly pygmy goats. I live with my fiance and we have one little cross breed dog.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Thanx to everyone that welcomed me.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:50:58 pm »
Hi, I have 13 goats made up of 7 Pygmy's, 2 Golden Guernsey's, 2 British Toggenburgs and 2 old dairy goats. I think too that they are the best pets you can have. They are amazingly friendly and just love human contact so much. :goat:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:47:59 pm »
I would just love to have a couple of pygmy goats, but my house is far too exposed and near to the village so wouldn't take the risk that they might be taken.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:59:21 pm »
I love goats.  I had 8 at one time, but am down to two now.  Am on the lookout for some milking goats though, to have my own little herd again.

MM

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:24:03 am »
Hello again! I have always loved goats, but have not as yet been able to actually own one.  :'( Have contented myself until now by watching the wild ones on the hills nearby and looking at everyone elses at shows. However that is about to change ;D Just need to track some down..... I am so excited much, to OH's puzzlement ::)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:24:30 am »
I love goats, OH doesnt.  Our roof suffered quite badly from the last pair we had.  He says he is too old to keep climbing on to the roof to remove the goats.  So sadly no more goats.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 05:45:50 pm »
Hi...we have a couple of pet British Toggenburg billy goats (castrated) which we purchased at 1 day old...they are now three years plus. Our neighbour has a mixed milking herd comprising 3000 all colours and sizes, unfortunately he cannot sell his milk to the public, nor does he make cheese, etc; which is a shame because there is a growing demand for goat products.

Our boys are great fun, if a little naughty at times, and very effectionate...lovely creatures!

Farmer
 :farmer:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:53:11 pm »
Farmer, I have 2 British Toggenburg castrated boys, now 18 weeks old and they are the sookiest wee things on the planet too. I got them when they were 3 weeks old and bottle fed them but by that time they were already used to human company. They are growing at an alarming rate and think they are still able to sit on your knee and climb all over you. If there is mischief to be found well these 2 will find it. They are beauties and very smart wee cookies, they have no fear and get on well with all the others.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:18:11 pm »
That's great James...our Jake was the one for sitting on my lap, couldn't sit in the garden without him...but eventually he got too big and just took over the chair! Kenco was the runt and was bullied by the others, so we couldn't take him off to the slaughter house and decided to keep them both...good decision...they are great pals and sleep together head to toe so they can lay their heads on each others backs...both are now full grown with impressive horns...but very gentle. What have you called your boys?

Oh...and whilst I think about it...toggenburgs are prone to kidney stones, so watch out for urinary problems...keep a tube of Haliborange vitamin C tablets handy and if you spot any signs of either of them having a problem weeing or if they grind their teeth when they wee, simply dissolve a tablet in water and give it to them as a drench...works wonders!

John

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 10:32:41 pm »
Thanks for that tip John, I didn't know that. My boys are Freddy and Gizmo, all my goats are dis budded. I have posted pictures of them on here before somewhere. They love to climb, the higher the better. We had to move the chicken coop as they were going to destroy it with their climbing. I really think they would come indoors and live quite happily.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »
Reminded me that once when Jake was young we lost him...searched the farm yard and fields but couldn't find him anywhere, so decided he must have escaped and joined my neighbours goats about four fields away. Later in the day I was in the hay barn when I heard a noise way up on the top of the bales...thinking it was another fox taking up residence I climbed all the way to the top and found Jake...too frightened to come down. He came right to me and I carried him home and gave him a warm bottle of milk...he never did it again, but given the chance he will climb on anything...and I always have to make sure the car door is closed otherwise he tries to get in. What a character!

Well my wife Dianne and I have just finished making another batch of sausages for tomorrows Farmers' Market, its 11.40pm so I'm off to bed...night James

John

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 04:45:28 pm »
Hi and welcome, sorry havnt been here for a few days

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS