Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks laying  (Read 3004 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Ducks laying
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:31:09 am »
The l ast week or so I am getting far fewer eggs from  the ducks as I would expect each day. Is this the same for everyone else or are the buggers laying down the riverside and leaving food for the damned birds?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ducks laying
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:18:17 pm »
My hens are laying less as they are starting to moult, but I had two duck eggs today - albeit one of them tiny. My lead duck is sitting tight so doesn't lay just now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »
I had the same thing going on (or not going on) for about a week here. I thought it was the same of the ducks each morning not laying as there was no sign of one or 2 of them hiding to lay, I assumed it must be either due to her age or a health issue. This morning however, although I let them out earlier than usual, I had more than expected ...strange!  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 04:23:43 pm »
I took a walk along the river bank this morning and did discover 1 duck egg, it was still warm and I obviously got to it before the damned birds. They are wee buggers these ducks :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:56:28 pm »
None of my three lay in their nesting boxes - they are always outside in a dirt hole or under a bush.  I don't think they even go inside the shed to sleep.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:51:03 pm »
It might be worth if you find another an replacing it with a ceramic eggs (or a hard boiled one) , so you don't have to walk the whole shore each morning! Since I've put these down it has made a difference, although one wee duck does outsmart me every other day - she can tell the difference!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS