Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thief at work again  (Read 9867 times)

sandy

Re: Thief at work again
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 10:20:08 pm »
Can you take them to a local shop for them to sell for you or, if you know who buys the eggs get them to give you a ring and a time to collect them!!!! maybe be there yourself at certain times, my partner takes ours to where he works, I now don't have enough to cook with!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »
Can you take them to a local shop for them to sell for you or, if you know who buys the eggs get them to give you a ring and a time to collect them!!!! maybe be there yourself at certain times, my partner takes ours to where he works, I now don't have enough to cook with!!!!
No that's against the law.  Shops wouldn't take them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 02:28:13 pm »
maybe roxy has enough hens to register as an egg grader, then she can sell to businesses.

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 04:47:09 pm »
Hi Roxy - sorry to hear that you've had egg money nicked. The same happens to me when I sell my eggs outside our pub ! (very quiet /rural ) I leave an honesty box and it is usually totally right but occasionally missing a few quid. It's just crap behaviour and really comes as a shock. When I weighed up what I could do about it, I decided that I wasn't going to let the odd sh*t ruin it for everyone else ... and I'm prepared now to sometimes have money missing..... remember what goes around comes around. People who steal things like egg money are in a sense saying 'what makes you think you can live like this ?' and their theft can drag you into the type of world that you're trying to avoid. If it doesn't happen too often , and it isn't huge sums of money I just try to rise above it / alter the times and days that I put them out/ sometimes be there myself and sometimes just rely on telephone orders from people I know. Hope it stops happening for you anyway.

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »
maybe you could feed your family on nothing but cake - then you would need all the eggs yourself!! only joking I know it wouldnt be healthy for them and you wouldnt have any time to yourself as you would be tied to the cooker all day...  :yum:  ...sorry , obviously had one too many glasses of wine. ???

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 11:45:03 pm »
We do not mind eggs, but getting around 30 a day - a bit too many for us to eat, don't you think!!!  I have always sold my surplus eggs at the gate.  With having so many ex battery hens, the egg money does go a little way towards things like feed, wormers etc.  And people do enjoy having our free range eggs, so it works both ways.

Tonight when looking at the village well dressings, I noticed they had little new tin donation tins screwed to the wall next to the well, with a detachable bottom that was padlocked.  And a notice saying the tins would be emptied every night.  They would be ideal for my egg money at the gate.  Rick said they looked as if they had been made specially, so I will ask someone involved with the wells, where they came from, and perhaps I could pay to have one made!!!

Yesterday, people bought 4 dozen eggs while I was away at a show, and the money was sitting in the container when I returned.  Thief must not have called round yesterday, thank goodness.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 08:57:23 am »
Sounds a good idea.
Nice mention of well dressing. A Derbyshire tradition, possibley missed by other folk. It takes me back to childhood when we had to think up a design at school every year and then help press the flowers etc into the clay. In my parents village this year the kids had done the moon landing.

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 12:50:34 pm »
30 a day thats a lot of chooks Roxy, yea sounds like you do need to sell some then. hopefully thieving has stopped now...... :chook:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 04:10:08 pm »
We have 70 birds altogether - that includes the little chicks, the broody bantams, the broody silkies, and the broody hens. If all those were laying too, we would have a mountain of eggs.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 05:12:11 pm »
its amazing how fast they build up. im just building my nerves up to reduce the males a bit. ive just got a new mincer so there is going to be a fair bit of chicken mince. its a side effect from doing 4 incubations this year.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 05:18:20 pm »
Mmm...same here with males.  I already have 4 bantam cockerels, and have today been looking at the 5 hatched bantam chicks, which are growing up fast.  I am definitely sure about one being male, and another is suspect looking.......I cannot keep any more.  Hopefully will find homes for them as they are nice looking.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 07:10:06 pm »
tried to give away some cross hyline/shetland hens and there was no takers so theres no chance of the cocks getting a home.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 11:01:14 pm »
I saw some pics in a farming magazine of shetland hens, and thought they looked nice birds.  I have never actually seen any though.  Do they lay well enough?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS