Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for hebridean flock???  (Read 3520 times)

peartreewoodlandsmallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
How much for hebridean flock???
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:57:06 pm »
Hi guys, unfortunately were having to part with our flock of hebridean sheep, we have 1 ram and 6 ewes all around 5 years of age and 9 10 week old lambs 5 male and 4 female. we need to sell them quite quickly really before the 1st of july when our land rent tenancy ends, just wanted to ask if anyone could guide me as to what they are worth and what would be a fair price for all 16 sold as a whole, or would I be better off selling the lambs separately, any advice would be greatly received. Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help. thanks emma

Victorian Farmer

Re: How much for hebridean flock???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:40:20 pm »
i would think 50 pound each that's 350 pound and another 300 for the lambs that would be at a local sale .So good advertising a bit Moore .Find a good sale even if you have to travel .I refused to sell my ewes in November for 80 pound and then i killed 60 of them in the march bad wether hope all works out .

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:43 pm »
Oh Victorian Farmer. You didn't kill them, just made a wrong call. Stop punishing yourself. I understand it was so awful for you and I can't imagine your grief at the time on such a scale but you have to let go and take it as a lesson learned. Nothing you can do but just that.  :hug:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 11:59:36 pm »
YES Things have gone dawn hill big time not only have i made the wrong call on the ewes i planted more barley and rape and didn't do the turkeys or laying hens and guess Whit iv lost the barley and rape about 80 percent lost .So i dont no haw i will get over this loss i have 100 lambs to sell no mowing grass ,,,,,,

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:47:08 am »
At our local auction good quality Heb shearlings with singles have been consistently £50 and up to £80 with big suffolk twin lambs at foot. To me 6 ewes of 5 yrs of age are no more than £25-30 each and at a push lambs £30 per life. Auctions are never the best place to sell Hebs and you would never get more than that. Think you will do well to get more than £500 for the lot privately especially if you need to sell before 1st July.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 08:07:07 am »
Hebs are a breed that have a limited market, along with most other 'rare breed' sheep.

If your looking to get rid of them asap don't wait around for what they are worth, get what you can for them.
At 5 year old the ewes are passed thier best.

You will get advise from people that they are worth X amount, but they are not looking to buy them off you.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:19 am »

I'd try advertising them somewhere like Preloved. I've just bought a nice Heb ewe with 2 ewe lambs at foot (blue faced leicester crosses) and I paid a lot more than is being quoted here! I saw them on there. It was more convenient for me than going to market.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:07:00 pm »
You've not mentioned whether they are registered or unregistered.  It might not make much difference to the price you get, but it could determine the best place to advertise.   The HebWeb carries adverts for reg animals, but there is an increasing number of folk who would like to use them to produce cross-bred meat lambs and unreg is fine for that - unless they are wanting them for an SSSI or similar, for conservation grazing, which I think gives them a grant.
So registration might be relevant to potential buyers in both directions.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »

I'd try advertising them somewhere like Preloved. I've just bought a nice Heb ewe with 2 ewe lambs at foot (blue faced leicester crosses) and I paid a lot more than is being quoted here! I saw them on there. It was more convenient for me than going to market.

Have you any pics? That's an interesting cross!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS