Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: could she be in lamb??  (Read 1921 times)

davelamb

• Joined May 2013
could she be in lamb??
« on: June 08, 2013, 08:25:45 pm »
Hi, I got my first 3 sheep last year- 2 ewes & 1 wether. Turned out Tom wasn't a wether after all but was a rig, he'd decided not to part with his manhood when they put the band on. In January when I realised he still had his boy bits the vet castrated him. I read lots that said he wouldn't have been able to get the ewes in lamb with him being a rig so that was that panic over.... Or so I thought. Had all 3 sheared today & as the shearer started my 2nd girl Edie he asked if she was in lamb. She appears to be bagging up. Have looked on my calendar & its 156 days since Tom was castrated. Is it possible she could be in lamb or is there another reason she could look like she's bagging up? She doesn't look very fat, only slightly rounder than my other ewe who's always been more petite.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: could she be in lamb??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:33:57 pm »
She could be.... where was Tom immediatley after you had him surgically castrated?  If he was in the same paddock straight after, then he would have still been fertile for a while.

be a nice surprise for you  :innocent:

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:41:52 pm »
Had this with goats bought a wether....5 months down the line my nanny had twins....it happens his legacy lives on after cast ration :)

davelamb

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:45:03 am »
Yeah he was with the girls straight after, they've always been together. Oh well, better keep a very close eye on her & wait & see.It would be a nice surprise & would give my adopted pet lamb dave a friend. Thanks for your replies :)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:16:12 am »
Just beware of flies this time off year I had a ewe lamb a few weeks back an they were a problem so I had to wash her back end :)

davelamb

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 02:47:58 pm »
Thanks for that advice :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS