Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too late to chain harrow?  (Read 16719 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Too late to chain harrow?
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:12:21 am »
Hi folks, this is the first year we've had land and we are currently resting an acre or so that got trashed by the horses over the wet winter. Fir various reasons we haven't managed to beg, borrow or steal a chain harrow/roller or get someone else to do it for us. Is it now too late in the year? Thanks for any thoughts.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Too late to chain harrow?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:20:11 pm »
The grass here has been so late to start growing that we topped and harrowed one of our fields just two weeks ago.  It's already looking so much better after a bit of sun and is growing away well.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
I don't think you're ever too late to harrow so long as the ground conditions are suitable. We harrow our paddocks every time one is emptied in the rotation. Breaks up all the dung, aerates the soil and pulls out any thatch.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
Where does it pull the thatch to? Are you left with big piles to pick up?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:47:32 pm »
Chain harrow anytime, what is important is to ensure the ground has dried out first. Then keep HORSES off for at least 6 weeks, longer if you can - or put sheep on it. If you chain harrow you wont need to roll, I tend to only roll the hayfields   :thumbsup:
I like to keep horses off a chain harrowed field for 6 months, extreme you think? well I have ten horses and all their worm counts are v low or non seen for many years now, so I'm doing something right  :farmer:

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:27:20 am »
Thanks for the advice folks - that's encouraging to know. We can certainly keep horses off for a month or so, and just let the sheep (all 7 of them!) range over it.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 05:42:00 pm »
Then keep HORSES off for at least 6 weeks, longer if you can   :farmer:

Why keep horses off it?

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 04:30:06 pm »
Then keep HORSES off for at least 6 weeks, longer if you can   :farmer:

Why keep horses off it?
Because of a few factors Rosemary, firstly you are breaking up the exisiting horse droppings and spreading them around, therefore spreading worm eggs around the park, 6 weeks in baking sun will go along way at breaking the cycle, but is far from perfect (I try to go for 6 months) and secondly Chain Harrowing disturbs the soil, and it is a known, and ducumented fact that that will increase the risk of EGS  :(

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:19:29 pm »
I was out last night harrowing a friends field as it had finally dried out :excited:

i use a 6m opico folding spring tine harrow. Have a look at the opico website for what this does its much much more than a chain harrow.

There was one section of the field that had been badly poached by horses and with it set on its more agressive setting it created a lovely seed bed for light reseeding. going back tonight to seed and roll.

If anyone wants pics let me know :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS