Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farmer for topping etc in West Lothian?  (Read 2458 times)

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
Farmer for topping etc in West Lothian?
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:15 pm »
Longshot question I don't suppose anyone knows any farmers/agricultural contractor who would cover West Calder?
Have moved into new place with 6 acres. However land is wet and overrun with marsh grass and looks like creeping buttercups. Want to do drainage but in the shorter term it needs topping, rolling and I think spraying to give the grass a chance. (I hate chemicals but very little green is actually grass)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Farmer for topping etc in West Lothian?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »
I'm pretty amateur at all this too but first thought is that if the fields are that boggy then all a tractor is going to do is make horrid ruts.

If you have a good depth of soil then drainage is the first priority to my mindset BUT local conditions vary and the simplest answer is local knowledge.

I'd suggest asking the nearest farmer for advice and help..if it's anything like my area he'll probably know your field's history anyway.

The other way to find help is to go see the nearest agricultural engineer on the grounds that he'll know most of the farmers and who is frindly or a miserable B to approach.. and may well do some contract work himself if needed. Final option is local pub - I go down at least every 2 weeks; less for the beer (or so i tell the wife) and more to keep in touch with the local agri workers, the scrap merchant, the hardware shop owner and similar folk who drink there. Between them they have most answers and enjoy taking the mickey out of my puny efforts...

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:57:06 pm »
Thanks!
All good tips. Doug will definitely be in favour of the pub one!:)

Drainage is high on the list of to-dos and I actually have a number of a drainage chap who might come out here from Biggar. Will try and get hold of the farmer with the sheep next door too.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:42 pm »
For drainage use Dick's of throsk, a trusted contractor. for the other stuff try Drew Graham contracting DGC

if you need any more help let me know, i would quote but im a bit far off in Stirling.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS