Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st horse/pony  (Read 6869 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: 1st horse/pony
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 01:24:08 pm »
Fell or Highland then.  Or Dales.  But your local breed would be Highland, so if it were me I'd start there.

However - do go and see the Eriskays at Palacerigg first; they just may change your mind.  They are very special, as well as very rare. :love: :horse:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 01:57:39 pm »
Ye. The eriskays would be an option for a 1st pony for any children in the future 

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »
I'd go for a Fell every time. I've got a Fell gelding that all my kids ride and I'm going to be teaching my 6'2" friend on him too. Have a look on Facebook at the Fell Pony Group for some absolutely stunning examples of the breed.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:21 pm »
Think I have made my mind up on a highland. They suit what I want to do and they are a Scottish pony :)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 09:47:02 am »
As a Highland breeder I have to support your choice obviously  :)

If you're at the Highland Show you can see a wide variety of the breed, tho most of what is there would not be an ideal first pony purchase for basic hacking you may see a look you like and find out what the bloodlines of that type are, and take it from there when you go looking.  There's also the Breed Show in Perthshire in July if you're free (info on the HPS website along with current sales lists) where even more ponies will be around to look at.

If you're in Fife with relatives feel free to have a look at my stock and talk about the breed type, needs etc.  There are no "established ride for sale" ponies here, mostly breeding stock, stallion, broodmares, foals, youngstock, a couple ready to back or just backed which wouldn't be ideal for you - and my semi retired ridden gelding who would but is 19 and homebred and I'd not even consider selling - so you're pretty safe just looking and asking questions.  No sales pitch guaranteed  ;)   I make a decent cup of tea or coffee, but the rest is as you find it and you might be questioned about other smallholding matters in return for pony info!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 07:59:54 pm »
Will have to take you up on that offer and I have holidays in July, don't thing the oh will like idea but in will just not tell him where we are going haha :)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 10:54:05 pm »
NEPSHES are in your area (North East Scotland Highland Pony Enthusiasts) and they have in and out of saddle events. A ready made social life,...highlands are just great. Some are plods, some arent. Amazing ponies.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 09:56:56 pm »
Will have to have a look at them thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS