Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st horse/pony  (Read 6868 times)

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
1st horse/pony
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:39:07 pm »
hey all

i am thinking about gtting my first pony/horse within the next couple of years depending on income of course, but i was needin some advice on what kind to get i was looking at friesians and Irish draughts but also really like highlands, what are peoples thoughts on these breeds as 1st timers

Righa

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: 1st horse/pony
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:59:10 pm »
They are very different breeds....which would be most suited would maybe depend on what you are looking to do with it? And what age height and weight range and riding ability will need to ride it, and what roughly the budget is? Do you want to jump, show, hack, dressage, driving?

Have experience of an ID and a Friesian, lots of friends have Hipos.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:19:23 pm »
i am 5'3ish at my a max weight of 13 stone but now cattle are out and its getting into shearing season that will soon shift, will mostly be a happy hacker with the thought of showing, i have recently got back into riding after a long break( 10years near enough am 21 now) would like to learn to jump but never tried it before. budget would be around 2-2.5K but could go a little higher for the right one, also hacking would be field and quiet country roads.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:48:56 am »
Please look seriously at the native British breeds. They are bred for the climate and are very versatile.

A Highland, a Fell or a Dales (please don't think they are slugs - they aren't, especially if you keep the weight off them) or how about a Cleveland Bay? Beautiful and very rare; hardy and multi-purpose. All of these breeds are suitable for riding and driving.

Most of the native breds are hardy, thrifty (keeping weight off is more of an issue than keeping it on), have good feet and don't suffer from many ailments.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:03:34 am »
You can also do loads of showing classes with the natives. Cleveland might be a big huge if you are only 5 3 and have the reputation for being a bit stubborn or wilful, but it's more being a pea on a volcano which might make a fell dales or highland a better option, excellent weight carriers esp dales and highland and beautiful with it! I wouldn't say a Friesian would be suitable, size and manners wise for a first horse - but the Dales is pretty much a smaller version looks wise, although Dales also come in Grey and bay (tho less common than the stunning black normal ones).

Given the current poor market for selling horses your budget would probably get you a nice one as well.

If you are in the north of Englanc (for Dales) or in Scotland (for Highland) there will be plenty of people to talk to and ponies to see. Further south there are still clubs and enthusiasts.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:31:04 am »
Yes the horse market is depressed but anything steady and quiet will always sells well, as there is always more people who just want a quiet hack that something to compete. As with all things you get what you pay for and horses are never cheap even if they are cheap to buy. I would look at the Pony Club website as the animals on there are usually traceable and always look at the passport and ask for the details of the last owner. The horses market is worse than the second hand car market.
 I  would recommend a native but Highlands depending on where you are, can be for and good one £2500+  So I would look for something native x or a traveller pony as they like the smaller ones so the bigger ones can be cheaper.
 I would not for a first horse go for a Cleveland or  Friesian, there are exceptions to any rule but the have basically bred as carriage horses and tend to be more of an expert breed.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:12 am »
Thank you all for your thoughts am looking more and more at highlands as I like a chunky horse also my self and dad stalk so he could come in super useful. :) plus reading about them they seem to be real stars. I live up near fraserburgh but have family in fife and Alexandria as well so plenty places for viewing ponies

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:51:28 am »
That sounds like a good plan! If you we're less concerned about showing then sometimes highlands who go a bit over the height limit (eg get to 15 hands ish) can be a good buy. It's sometimes hard to find anything other than unbroken youngsters but ridden ones do come up.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:11 am »
My partners mum and sister do a lot of showing so it would be quite interesting to do some as well. Ye I will just have to keep my eyes peeled.  Thanks

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:15 am »
Have a look at the Highland Stud Book Society, they have a for sale page. also if you visit the local shows over the summer, (New Deer and Turriff not far from you both have big Highland classes ) have a chat with people as often good ponies are sold by word of mouth.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 10:51:01 am »
Cheers will be down at highland on the Friday as well as partners wee sister is showing her Welsh cob so can have a look around as well

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 12:48:41 am »
My first choice has to be the Dales, followed by a Fell pony.  We ride, drive and show both these breeds.  Our smallest is about 12hh (Fell) and the Dales are all around 14hh.  I cannot fault the temperament, suitability for adults due to their weight carrying capabilities, and their hardiness.  Ours live out all year at 1000ft ft.  These ponies can turn their hand to anything.

We also have an Irish Draught, and again, cannot fault her;

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:56:46 am »
Defiantly going to be a native breed just not sure on which breed. Highland Dale and fell are all high on the list

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 09:09:33 am »
What about one of the larger Eriskays? Some of them go up to 13hh and are real weight carriers. They are such a lovely breed with fantastic temperaments. They are more difficult to get hold of because they are so endangered but you would also be helping to keep such a rare breed going. I adore our wee Eriskay gelding.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 10:40:11 am »
I want something around 14-14.2 as my partner does ride sometimes so he would  then be able to ride as well as he is quite tall.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS