Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Doing a talk at a school - done it - updated.  (Read 9540 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Doing a talk at a French School re English Food
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 06:40:53 pm »
Yorkshire puddings!  Hot or cold, with gravy or (did I really used to eat these?) golden syrup :yum: :yum:

Or with crunchy peanut butter!  :yum:   Haven't managed to convince Rosemary of their virtues yet though...

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 06:59:38 pm »
How about different flavours of crisps, ie prawn cocktail, cheese and onion, Worcester sauce etc. Im fed up with the boring French flavours. You cant get Wheat crunchies or Skips over here either. All the above are easy to pass round and kids will love to try them. Deffo pork pie with various pickles and brown sauce!!!Pickled onions are a must as previously said, an perhaps some individual fruit jellies done in plastic cups.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 07:25:19 pm »
I remember my mum asking if I wanted my yorkshire with my dinner or with syrup, I always had it with Syrup, hardly ever make Yorkshire puds now....but I do make dumplings :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 09:03:44 pm »
I remember my mum asking if I wanted my yorkshire with my dinner or with syrup, I always had it with Syrup, hardly ever make Yorkshire puds now....but I do make dumplings :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
That's what we did at home.  When I was first married I made a batch of Y Puds and put some to one side.  OH asked what they were for...when I poured syrup on them he looked  :o :o horrified - well his family are from York :innocent: :innocent:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 05:23:27 pm »
How about different flavours of crisps, ie prawn cocktail, cheese and onion, Worcester sauce etc.

A lot of those flavours aren't around in other countries because the artificial additives are banned.

(Added to say that these days there are a lot more natural flavours around - but I think it's now simply tradition that there aren't that many flavours available. I don't like them, either. Well, some cheese and onion are ok... ;D )
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:28:46 pm by Ina »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 10:01:57 pm »
Yorkshire puddings!  Hot or cold, with gravy or (did I really used to eat these?) golden syrup :yum: :yum:

Or with crunchy peanut butter!  :yum:   Haven't managed to convince Rosemary of their virtues yet though...

I quite fancy that. Do you have them hot or cold, Dan?

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 07:28:41 am »

I quite fancy that. Do you have them hot or cold, Dan?

Cold, nice with PB&J too.  :thumbsup:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 11:58:09 am »
Coming from just up the road from Bakewell -  I have to say that we call it a Pudding, not a tart!!!

I have to admit to loving savoury pies - meat and potato with mushy peas is a favourite (we quite often pop over the border to Lancashire, as all the bakeries sell this as a takeaway, and its divine!)
Staffordshire oatcakes (the big round ones) are lovely with a fried breakfast ....and Bury black puddings of course!!!

I do tend to like traditional food - often using old fashioned recipes in an old book, which are rather stodgy.......you would think I would be rather larger than a size 10 ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS