Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Doing a talk at a school - done it - updated.  (Read 9509 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Doing a talk at a school - done it - updated.
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:13:34 am »
I'm doing a talk at a French school about English food and taking some samples in with me for the kids to try.

I need a few more ideas of food which is typically English, and that I can take in for them to taste. Needs to be stuff that I can prepare beforehand or that doesn't need any preparation.

I've got a few things on the list.

Anything you can think of?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:24:13 pm by OhLaLa »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Doing a talk at a French School re English Food
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:17:33 am »
Sausages?  You could do cocktail sausages on sticks.
Cheese - the French don't think anyone else can make cheese.
How about scones and jam or savoury scones
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:59 am »
Cheese - the French don't think anyone else can make cheese.

Actually - they are learning these days - the British keep beating them in all sorts of cheese competitions...  ;)

But cheese is a good idea, if you have decent stuff available. Bog standard cheddar probably won't do.

The first food I made for German friends and that was greeted with - this can't be British, it tastes great! - was trifle.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:17 am »
Cheddar is on the list. Sausages is a good idea, will add those on. Thanks.

(Marmite is on the list too, and Salad Cream).

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:24 am »
A few ideas: Pickled eggs and onions, picalilli, bakewell tart, chelsea buns, eccles cakes, scones, clotted cream, cornish pasties, marmite, crumpets, summer pudding.

Some travel better than others!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:18:22 am »
Some lovely salad stuff so they see we don't eat stodgy overcooked food any more - if we ever did.  I've no idea what the French eat these days,  try to take things which are not just British variants of French produce.

It would be great though to show how cosmopolitan our diet is these days.

You must take curry - very British  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
Steak and Kidney Pie, Shephards Pie, Apple Pie, Pork Pie  (whops loads of pies) Something with Rhubarb in and what about Trifle?

Whops...sorry had a very low carb moment...just after putting that I had some cake and then the computor went funny so I turned it off......maybe something less stodgy then?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:39:57 pm by happygolucky »

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:01 pm »
marmalade and proper bacon - can't get either in France!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:11:06 pm »
 What about an English or British breakfast with all the trimmings then...yummmm

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:19:40 pm »
Pork pies, rice pudding, English mustard freshly made with water a minute before tasting, (surprised a few Germans with that one) they are just about speaking to me now. Trebor extra strong mints , ( they nearly choked my brother-in law) A cream tea  if you can get the ingredients. :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:40:10 pm »
if you are having cheese - then pineapple is a must. jelly and icecream ?  :roflanim:
cornish pasty, and scones and cream and strawberries.
england grows the best spinach and watercress. rhubarb dipped in sugar  :yum:
jam roly poly, cucumber sandwiches?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »
Needs to be stuff that I can prepare beforehand or that doesn't need any preparation.

Just wanted to remind of this... A lot of the suggestions may be your favourite food, but I don't think it would be possible to cook a full English breakfast in that school, for example!

I am reading this with interest. As a BF (bloody foreigner) who's lived in the UK for more than a third of her life, most of the stuff I can sincerely say I have still not got used to. Or - I might eat it, depending on how it's been cooked even enjoy it, but couldn't wholeheartedly recommend it to encourage foreigners to eat more of British food. Especially all those pies and pasties... Yeah, it's convenience food, might even taste quite nice, but in  the end it's mostly stodge. Carbohydrates, basically without any flavour... And most cakes and sweets far, far too sweet. Again, no flavour apart from sugar. And every single item on the menu with chips..... Argh!!! Now that really puts any foreigner off their food. (I remember how aghast some students were when they were offered lasagne with chips on the ferry over... And I won't even mention deep fried pizza. Oh, now I have. ;D )

(Sorry! There's not much German food I would be eager to introduce to other countries, either, if that makes up for my rant.)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »
Ina, sorry, I did read but I went off into a carb rant as I was hungry but its food I like, although not a pie or chip fan, I do love new potatoes or any potatoes in fact. When I worked in Leicester the most popular British food amongst the asian population was Trifle and fish and chips (not together),funny as I so like curry and that IS a typical British dish!!! Of course  you cannot pre prep Fish and chips but little trifles would be great and an afternoon tea is my fave with scones, cream, fresh home made jam, ham and nice cheese sarnies and maybe some egg and cress ones...with a cup of British tea Yum
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:11:33 pm by happygolucky »

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:14:16 pm »
Ina, sorry, I did read but I went off into a carb rant as I was hungry but its food I like, although not a pie or chip fan, I do love new potatoes or any potatoes in fact. When I worked in Leicester the most popular British food amongst the asian population was Trifle and fish and chips (not together),funny as I so like curry and that IS a typical British dish!!!

Definitely a favourite dish! Typical for "The Empire" and its influence on British food, anyway.  :D (I love curry, too...)

But it always depends on how it's cooked. Bakewell tart, for example, I love. But I have had really dismal examples of it, too... No almonds in the topping - only artificial flavour; thick, flavourless pastry - yuk! The Newton Dee bakery (those in and around Aberdeen might know it) makes the most fabulous stuff, though: thin pastry made with butter, topping mostly almonds with not too much sugar - delicious!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35:47 pm »
Thanks so much for all your input. Appreciate some of the suggestions are yummy treats but have to take into account that I am unable to cook or heat up any foodstuffs once there. Can't really offer the kids some of the more hot/spicy suggestions, bless 'em, and anything gooey or sticky is also out of the question due to the kids touching everything gooey and then everything in the classroom (I've made that mistake before).

So, the list is done, the shopping is on order, and the visit arranged. Will let you know how it goes.
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS