Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pastor herbicide  (Read 13359 times)

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
pastor herbicide
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »

for the past few weeks I've been using pastor herbicide on our farm for nettles, docks, and thistles and man this stuff works good, you can buy this pastor from all agriculture merchants ( eg.scats) £40  2 litres, i know it expensive, but if you have alot of unwanted nettles docks and thistles growing in places you don't want them growing i reccommend it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: pastor herbicide
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:32 pm »
How does it work? Does it leave a residue in the soil? I assume it's non-selective?

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:06 pm »
we used to use barrier h - didnt do much except change its colour. stacato was good but they changed its name (cant rem what) and put price up. wer still riddled with weeds but its getting better each year.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:49:15 am »
I have just spent the weekend spraying Grazon 90 paid £41.00 + vat for 1 litre. It doesn't kill grass and safe for animals after 7 days to go back onto the area.
Will see have it works.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »
 we have sprayed nettles  and on same day they are drooping and after 2/3 weeks they've gone brown and dead
we have sprayed thistles and after a day they are drooping
 and docks maybe 2 or 3 days after spraying.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:39:16 pm »
Just been looking at where i sprayed all seem to be drooping but the brambles but only sprayed yesterday
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »
i think barrier h is designed for radwort only, i never used it.

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:37:51 pm »

But all these pesticides, dont you have to have licence to buy them? both our local suppliers tell me I need a certificate in herbicide control (I was going to put "you need to be certified" ;D)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »
Our local suppliers will sell you them once they know you  ;D
There was something in another thread about it being dangerous to put livestock back on for months after spraying not the 7 days it says. Anyone actually done it and been fine? Our thistles, nettles and docken are awful so I'd like to use it if it's OK.

AndyT

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »

But all these pesticides, dont you have to have licence to buy them? both our local suppliers tell me I need a certificate in herbicide control (I was going to put "you need to be certified" ;D)
Unless you were born before 31st December 1964 when grandfather rights apply for own use, but NOT as a contractor. :excited: Legislation has been passed in form of Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012 to remove these rights in UK after 26 November 2015. Keep a lookout as the act talks of issuing certificates based on experience and skills to those currently working with grandfather rights. Details to be published in 2013 the gov website says.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 10:30:50 am »
we lost a lamb to neighbours pouring weedkiller onto our land where they were sleeping. they didnt dilute it and poured it on with a watering can. its certainly killed the docks though.
its dangerous stuff when not used properly.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 09:54:44 pm »
I was born before 1964 ... I am not an OAP yet!!!   :eyelashes:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 11:47:22 pm »
Grazon is very very good if correctly used don't put grass cuttings on the compost heap it as I seem to recall it has a residual component that's not good for your gardens or seed germination. ..
RE :-
Killing brambles with it ,  cut them back and when they have reached 6 inches of active re growth give them the good news .  Should any survive this assault  cut them back again and repeat as before when they again reach 6 inches of active growth . I managed to clear  a couple of hundred square metres of very well established brambles doing it this way .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

crazy_bull

• Joined May 2012
  • Huntingdon
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 04:32:41 pm »
Grazon is very very good if correctly used don't put grass cuttings on the compost heap it as I seem to recall it has a residual component that's not good for your gardens or seed germination. ..
RE :-
Killing brambles with it ,  cut them back and when they have reached 6 inches of active re growth give them the good news .  Should any survive this assault  cut them back again and repeat as before when they again reach 6 inches of active growth . I managed to clear  a couple of hundred square metres of very well established brambles doing it this way .

Think you are thinking of the product ForeFront that seemed to have some residual properties that even were supposed to carry through the dung of animals and onto the allotments!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS