Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: *sigh* Get orrff my land!!  (Read 13488 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: *sigh* Get orrff my land!!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 09:34:20 am »
We've just got our summer cows :excited: , 14 daft young heifers cavorting about, soft as butter and curious as can be, funny how the number of walkers across our right of way has dropped right off though  :innocent:  can't think why....................
Mandy :pig:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:45 am »
A lot of people have no idea of the country code or crops......I only know as I married a farmers son and used to hear father in law moan, I doubt my husband would consider it as being anything wrong walking across a grassed field........he never does as far as I know. 
Sound like this chap does have some knowledge so get the camera ready and the signs up.......and maybe electric fence, a Bull and some land mines :innocent:   (maybe not the land mines)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 11:35:04 am »
substitute  spring grass cow pats for land mines!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:50 am »
I think this man is being exceptionally rude and taking the proverbial to be honest.

The local estate around where I live has opened up some permissive paths so that people can walk along the river - they did this to mark the millenium.  It is a lovely facility but still people take the mick and walk right up their driveway to the big house  :(   They also let their dogs run amok at times - there are lots of pheasants and partridges as they run shooting days.

It only takes some polite manners to build a decent relationship with people.   We always walk our dogs around the paths they have opened and sometimes we use the boundaries inbetween the fields, which aren't strictly the paths, to vary the walk.  Once my son did the same without me there and he was challenged - when he said who he was they apologised to himand said of course we know your Mum and your dogs are always well behaved - carry on.

Donna

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 12:32:11 pm »
Sounds a right prat , like others have said take photo's and tell him you are gathering prof of damage. electric fencing does help keep some people out.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 02:42:15 pm »
thank you everyone for the advice. It is very much appreciated.
I am going to photograph him today, and I will monitor the situation next week. I think it woudl be easy to trace where he lives, I considered maybe I should go and tramp thru his garden LOL! Anyway,  if he keeps it up I will "borrow" a couple of bullocks, my neighbour has a huge herd (this joker  is avoiding those fields!)

cheers  :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »
Mays....when you have a photo can you pin it to the gate!!  :innocent:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »
Love the bull post.  :roflanim:

You can borrow a couple? SOOOOOO DO that! Might need a Beware of Bull sign?
Or
You need to fertilise your field (yeah, you do) so lay out some nice wet fresh stuff and thick and deep around where he crosses or might choose to cross, and make it too wide to jump over. If you are feeling really mean cover it in chopped grass so it can't be easily seen and he ends up in it anyway (seen it done, keeps the smell down apparently  :thinking:  ).

Or electric fence.

And as much as I'm against it where animals have use of the field, some tightly stretched barbed wire. But please ONLY if no animals ever in there. Nasty stuff.

Let us know what happens!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 03:28:15 pm »
Dig a new drainage ditch where he comes through, nice and wide & deep and filled up to the top . or you could get nasty and dig a hole 1 foot deep 1 foot round  with a barbed metal spike in the center , he won't want a second dose of that, the Vietcong used sharpened bamboo barbs dipped in sewage to ensure infection, there is also the ankle breaker , instead of spike use a foot of broom handle buried for 6 inches in the hole , the victim drops in the hole and his foot rocks on the broomstick snapping the ankle . But then I'm just a vindictive old sod, nail boards are very effective at deterring unwelcome visitors.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »
Tiz, I'm not so sure I want to visit you any more. Not without my safety helmet, bullet proof vest and water wings anyway.  ;D

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
acording to the Scottish government's access code they do not have the right to "Land in which crops have been sown or are growing (although please note that the headrigs, endrigs and other margins of fields where crops are growing are not defined as crops, whether sown or unsown, and are therefore within access rights)." so if  its through the  middle too can tell him where to go.
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/your-access-rights/

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 02:47:18 pm »
I would turn the electric fence on if he is wearing a kilt !! Imagine that  :excited:

I did not know about the right to roam law in Scotland - sounds good but only if those who enjoy the law show some respect for the land, crops and animals they pass thru.   
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Nell

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Nr Thornhill, Dumfries
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 03:19:08 pm »
It's one of the few things that narks me about Scottish law. That bloke wouldn't want you walking across his garden, sitting on his patio with a picnic, or letting your dog mess, so why is it alright for him to go wandering across your fields?  :rant: I wouldn't dream of walking across people's land without permission or necessity. Even then, I'd try to keep to the edge, or along the tramlines.

Yep, electric fence sounds the way to go.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 03:21:39 pm »
I think it would have been useful if the access right had been restricted to tracks and paths, plus open unfenced land, since there aren't that many fields that aren't being used for some kind of crop even if its just silage or hay or which don't have animals in them which walkers dogs are likely to cause issues with. That would have been more balanced.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 03:32:09 pm »
By law you are not allowed to trampel any crops - grass if it is 6inches or higher is glassed as a crop and barley at any stage is a crop - therefore law dictates he should use the edges.

As for the fences - i'm sure there is stipulatios dictating that they are required to find a gate or suitable area to cross that will cause no damage.

Check with your local SNH office, they can give you all the upto date info

Or check out the SOAC book (scottish outdoor access code)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS