Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: *sigh* Get orrff my land!!  (Read 13486 times)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
*sigh* Get orrff my land!!
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:51:22 pm »
well, thats what I feel like yelling, but of course I wouldnt dream of it!
Someone has taken to striding across (a significant) part of our land in a short cut home. He is stridinghappily over my hayfield and a neighbours Barley crop. And he is climbing over all the fences (my personal pet hate of mine, loosening the wire),
Where do I stand at preventing him from trampling my hay & ruining my fences! if anywhere? Scotland right to roam and all that  :-\

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: *sigh* Get orrff my land!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:24:57 pm »
 :-\ , right to roam but with some respect, I notice a field near where I walk, people tred down a pathway through the crops, then I suppose that is not too bad if they all keep to the same path, not so sure about the fence bit, maybe if you see him, have a word and tell him how you feel, he may well be totally unaware...........then again he may be just arrogant!!  :innocent:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:47:31 pm »
i'm sure your stock suddenly need mains electic wire to keep them in :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:56:55 pm »
The right of responsible access in Scotland specifically excludes walking through the middle of crops and also walking through grass grown as a hay crop when it will be damaged (normally defined as when the grass is above ankle height). Headlands on crop fields are allowed but not through the crop. So you are well within your rights to ask them to stop, and if they refuse, ask them to leave. The access rights are so generous in Scotland that there is no excuse at all for exceeding them or breaching them.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/your-access-rights/

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:59:35 pm »
when your hay field is cut... do you not need to put a bull in for a few days..... ? that is what a friend did when some traveller's looked the like of his field..electric wire and bull..he did give then 15 minutes warning before off loading the fella..they were out in 10..and cleaned up  ;D

i don't agree with this total right to roam.... it would work if people had common sense..but many havn't

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:53:43 pm »
There is no trespass law in Scotland - unless damage is done.  This appears to be damage to me so he is effectively trespassing, regardless of the right to roam laws.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:59 pm »
As he is causing damage and therefore tressassing, can you not threaten him with being sued?

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »
thank you for the support guys, much appreciated  :thumbsup:
I spoke to him again, and very arrogant, and ingnorant to the fact it was crops he was walking over, I'll monitor the situation, and yes defiently going to plug in the mains, & good idea about the bull! :thinking: :cow:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:55:17 pm »
I would simply ask him not to do it.  Generally people are ok when you talk to them.  Jut ask him to go another route and explain why.  :thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:54 pm »
i'm sure your stock suddenly need mains electic wire to keep them in :innocent:

No doubts about it - mind you, my battery powered tape gives me enough of a kick  :o

If he doesn't stop, sit in wait for him with a camera & take pictures (only when he's on your land/fence) & tell him you're gathering evidence for your small claims!  Arrogant git!!!
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 10:00:46 pm »
Good idea. Make sure he sees youi doing it.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:03:38 pm »
make sure you cover yourself...do everything legal... signs saying electric fence...

people like him don't deserve to see the beauty of the land.... there are some prats on this planet

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 10:29:01 pm »
Barbed wire as a temporary and cheap addition to the fence works too.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 06:33:33 am »
Land mine ?  :innocent:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 06:59:21 am »
I think it always helps if you get the slurry spreader out... It's your land, and your crop - you must have the right to spread fertiliser, surely?! ;D

It's amazing, btw, how many people don't recognise that grass is a crop.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS