Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebrides Islands  (Read 10475 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Hebrides Islands
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 09:07:02 pm »
Hay was so expensive in the Spring in Shetland due to being very hard to get. I was told it is for sale around us for £45 per round bale again due to late Spring and bad weather. Almost all of our local feed merchants have sold out.

thanks. thats really helpful as iv been thinking about downsizing the farm, but maybe not if i need to be self-sufficient in hay. iv never done it myself before but i suppose it cant be that difficult. unless there are reliable contractors around. i did read someones blog in orkney and they mentioned the "silage boys" who came to cut their hay. its a big deal for me - taking animals to an island as iv heard horror stories of incomers not being able to get feed mid-winter and the animals starving to death.
are their any island farming forums around? cos i keep wondering about contractors, feed supplies and also things do they have knackermen or do they still bury carcusses etc

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 11:55:41 pm »

[/quote]

Our main concern was actually schooling for the girls when we were looking and we ruled out the islands and North-west of Scotland for that reason. I don't believe in boarding from the age of 12, so we choose to stay where there are local schools (Scottish Borders), even though that meant to keep a mortgage and OH working up in the city 4 days a week... limits what we can do with the holding right now.

I maybe would have considered home-educating them for primary, but not so much for secondary. Just my personal choice, but if you can (and want) to home-educate, then Island life should be fine... (as long as you have a good broadband connection)
[/quote]

Well I boarded from the age of 12 and I turned out alright  :innocent:

In fact I would go so far as to say it prepared me far better for real life when i left school/home

As for carcasses, we have dispensation t bury them in the appropriate place etc etc
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:36 am »

Our main concern was actually schooling for the girls when we were looking and we ruled out the islands and North-west of Scotland for that reason. I don't believe in boarding from the age of 12, so we choose to stay where there are local schools (Scottish Borders), even though that meant to keep a mortgage and OH working up in the city 4 days a week... limits what we can do with the holding right now.

I maybe would have considered home-educating them for primary, but not so much for secondary. Just my personal choice, but if you can (and want) to home-educate, then Island life should be fine... (as long as you have a good broadband connection)
[/quote]

Well I boarded from the age of 12 and I turned out alright  :innocent:

In fact I would go so far as to say it prepared me far better for real life when i left school/home

As for carcasses, we have dispensation t bury them in the appropriate place etc etc
[/quote]

the orkney isles we are considering dont send them away til S4, which is 15 yrs. my boy is 14 at present and is more than happy with the idea of staying at school during the week, and im sure he'd have alot more opportunities for hobbies etc than he would staying at home.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS