Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter returns  (Read 5405 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Winter returns
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 09:23:45 pm »
depressed.com

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »
Heavy sleet here again this evening  :gloomy:

I just need the grass to grow fast enough to keep up with the sheep - so far it's been too cold :cold:

The silver lining - no midges yet  :thumbsup:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
Victorian Farmer, we live 117 mtrs above sea level at SA183BZ (  a few miles north of  the west end of the M4 motorway ) .
Since 19.00 Monday night we had 7 inches of rain up to 21.30 last night , today it's now measuring 13 inches of rain and yes it's cold as well.

Perhaps this cold wet weather is partly influenced by the massive sunspot activity that finally flared out fully  on the 12 & 13 May this year .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:35 am »
Glorious sunshine but very cold here today.
When will the grass really get growing. I have had my big pigs in since Spetember and there is no sign of me being able to get them back out anytime soon. Going to have to buy some straw soon as my years supply is about used up.
Saw on the One Show last night(also article in FW) arable farmers in the relatively dry eastern counties sending thir surplus fodder across to Wales and Cumbria for those struggling to cope with the terrible conditions which shows there is still human kindness out there. It just seems to be one nightmare after another for some.
mandy :pig:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 10:42:45 am »
well plantoid it does look like we are in a mini ice age my thorts iv lost my barley and rape which is this ye res  money .The crisis in Agriculture is here and now . i don't see haw we can Carey on if things don't pic up its to late for some crops .The small holders that have money will go dawn fast there money will dry up quick veg spuds fruit etc bees stock .we had a bad one last ye re but this is even worse just one warm day snow on Friday cold ground and the longest day soon .Forcast for  June.  June Into Summer, and the rainfall pattern is currently expected to be close to normal, but with some local variations meaning some parts could see a wetter than average month. Temperatures are forecast to be close to or above average, with the northern half of the UK perhaps seeing the largest departure from average levels. JulyConfidence is low at this stage, but indications are that July could be a wetter month with many regions forecast to be wetter, or even much wetter than average albeit with some significant local variation again likely. Temperatures are generally close to or above average..The good news we will have a warm spell in 7 days time .So haw long can we last im bust naw i have lambs to sell no crops and no feed the other half is not happey when i use her cash for bedding but i dont no whot to do  to day A nippy start this morning for many, temperatures in England have dipped to -1C and in Scotland -4C mid may colder than January
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:51:28 am by Victorian Farmer »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 09:59:29 pm »
VF that's not good. I'm glad I don't have to rely on my micro holding for an income. It's so hard for anyone in the farming line.

We have actually had quite a nice day here in Shropshire. The sun shone all day. I did have to wear a coat when we took the dogs out this afternoon but then I am just sitting on my scooter. My OH was walking so didn't need a coat. Still colder than it should be but dry.

Having said that, we have had some heavy thunder this evening but no rain so far.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 10:04:00 pm »
Hailstones for half an hour this afternoon   :o  bl**dy stingers  :raining:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS