Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter returns  (Read 5375 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Winter returns
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:09:15 am »
 :rant: :rant: I know it's not a lot, BUT, I don't need it, I don't want it, I hate it with a vengeance.
The god of s**t smiles on us yet again :rant:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Winter returns
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:18:26 am »
It is a lot...for MAY!! this is rubbish weather, really sick of it now. We don't have it half as bad as you (and Scotland) but its freezing cold, wet and miserable and yuk.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:31:24 am »
We haven't had snow YET today but its really miserable. I have just been out to feed the animals and was wearing my overalls, a fleece, woolly hat and gloves and I am still cold.
The rain has stopped for now, we have had lots and lots overnight, but its blowing a gale out there.

Hurry up summer
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:49:32 am »
We had snow on the hills behind us and a sprinkle on the car this morning. So much for global warming.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:52:53 am »
Same here, Bionic.

The trickle of water that was the brook yesterday is now more like a river and so loud and angry. Went down to check that none of the lambs had been washed away! The minibus driver, who does our school run, says that many of the lanes are flooded and the river through the village is as high as he has seen it.

No snow though  :relief: .

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:44:28 am »
Cold, very wet and windy here too, feel so sorry fr the poor lambs sheltering in the hedge back, our neighbour brought our summer heifer calves over last week and they're all squished in the hedge trying to keep dry, the pigs have not ventured out yet either. Only our daft labrador out getting soaked and boucing around, oh to have that energy!
Mandy :pig:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:08:19 am »
:(  I dooo hope we get a summer after this!

Helen

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 10:09:43 am »
It's been a wet 24 hours across western areas, with 74 mm (almost 3 inches) of rain falling at Pembrey in Camarthenshire, Wales and totals exceeding 40mm in some other spots across Wales and SW England. It has been windy too across the southwest, with winds gusting in excess of 60 mph in a few coastal locations. It was also cold enough overnight for some snow to fall across the Moors of SW England.The persistent and heavy rain that has affected western areas of England and Wales overnight is still lingering across east Wales, the West Midlands and up across northern England this morning, even falling as snow over the Pennines. The band of rain will slowly clear northeastwards through the day, to be replaced by brighter skies across much of England and Wales in the afternoon, though there will be some showers developing, perhaps heavy with the odd rumble of thunder in places. The rain may linger across NE England and SE Scotland through the afternoon, but for much of Scotland and Northern Ireland, it will be a bright day, though showers will affect some areas too, particularly in the west. Strong winds across southern areas this morning will ease through the day, but it won't feel particularly warm despite the winds easing, temperatures reaching 11-13C at best, cooler where we have the cloud and rain.Most places will become dry and clear tonight, though a few showers may continue near western coasts, temperatures will fall to 4-6C in towns and cities, perhaps close to freezing in rural spots. So a chilly but bright start to Thursday and although most places will start off dry, scattered heavy showers will develop during the day, particularly across northern, central and western areas, with a risk of hail and thunder. Winds will be generally light, with temperatures reaching 11-14C.Then another day of sunshine and showers on Friday, again with a risk of hail and thunder in places. Longer spells of rain look to spread in from the near continent during Saturday, though there's is some uncertainty for now over which areas will be affected. The American GFS model suggests England and Wales, whilst the European ECMWF model takes the heaviest rain across northern England and Scotland. Turning drier on Sunday and warmer too, though a risk of showers in the south. it dosent look good into june which will soon be the longist day .

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:13:42 am »
We've got a bit of bright sky but blowing a gale with an odd shower. Pigs been up to eat now back to bed! Chickens trying to stay upright. Not doing the cockerel street cred any good. Our old lab just goes for a wander now, but will sit in the wind and rain waiting for me.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:19:08 am »
We just got our field drainage system completed last week. They did it during that dry spell at the beginning of the month. Now we can see it working  :thumbsup:

At the weekend we moved the sheep into the field with the proper shelter in it  :thumbsup:

Yesterday OH went out and bought some heat lamps for the polytunnel - just to keep the frost out. We'll site them near the cucumbers.

There's snow on the hill tops this morning and the river in the valley is flooded so - I feel the we prepared as much as we could......... for winter  >:( despite the fact that it's May  :rant:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:49 pm »
Rained hard all yesterday in the wilds of the Peak District,all night too,and high winds. Torrential rain still, now.  River below our field is very high, and water running down off the hill field into the lane.  My fingers this morning felt like they do in winter, and my neighbour asked where my gloves were!!  Well, was not expecting to NEED gloves in May, actually!!!  I am so cold and fed up - cannot plant my veg, nor muck out as nothing wants to venture outside.Even the farm cats are not out rabbiting - I can see six fast asleep as I type!!

Weather forecast said it will stop raining later.......but then mentioned FROST :)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »
We've got out log burner on again today, its cheaper to put it on than the bottle gas fire. OH is not too good at the moment, so he has to keep warm, the fire is just ticking over keeping the lounge to a respectable 20 degrees. We are expecting a hailstorm this afternoon, but we've had a very mixed bag of black cloud and sunshine this morning. I just get the feeling that a proper summer is NEVER going to arrive!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:02 pm »
 Just discovered that from 1314 to 1317 there was constant rain in England, animals drowned in the fields, and the crops failed. So not much change there, then. Only three more years and we should see the sun again. Hurray!
 :gloomy:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »
We've already had two wet summers. On that basis this should be the last.

Half of Shropshire woke up this morning to find three inches of snow. We just had torrential rain.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »
We are all set for another $hit summer because we missed the Gulf Stream again I understand
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS