Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: And more on the RSPCA  (Read 3722 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: And more on the RSPCA
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:52:14 pm »
This is so sad.  This lady sounded to me like she was someone who cared, and wanted to help people, not intimidate them with powers!!  The bit about "issuing cautions" struck a chord with me.  It makes them sound like  the Police.  As someone who has been issued with one of their "cautions"  I can tell you, it makes you feel like a criminal.  I hasten to add, that after inspection by their vet, of all my animals, he declared that there was no need for the RSPCA to snatch my livestock.  I have a distinct feeling that follo wing my "caution"  the RSPCA may have had more than a few calls from local people, who know me, and know that my animals are in no way neglected.  I did not get an apology of course.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:57:03 pm »
So sad. Reading between the lines I wonder if the animals she 'stole' were healthy ones due to be put down.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »
Plenty of RSPCA "rescued" animals find new homes "off the books" so to speak, although obviously as an employee of the RSPCA you wouldn't want to get caught doing that as it's against their policies and procedures.  And there are plenty of disgruntled ex-employees out there with tales to tell, relating to the management structure, employee welfare and training, animal welfare, policies, you name it.
They do have to put down huge numbers of animals because there are just so many unwanted animals out there, and there isn't the funds to house them all.  A large majority alas are unwanted pets, or from people who can't afford treatment for their own animals.  The latter often try to blag treatment costs from the RSPCA by claiming that their own animals are actually strays etc.  Bringing back dog licensing would be a good start to help combat this.
The RSPCA as an organisation has definitely lost it's way, and has lost the respect of the public, and probably it's own staff.  I think they need to reevaluate their purpose in life!  But equally, society as a whole needs to get a grip; stop in-discriminant breeding, take responsibility for their own animals, and pop a couple of "common sense" pills when it comes to dealing with animal or wildlife issues - don't expect the RSPCA to be the savour of everything.
With any luck they won't be the R-SPCA for much longer.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:26:51 pm »
So sad. Reading between the lines I wonder if the animals she 'stole' were healthy ones due to be put down.

From what I can make out, she took a tortoise home overnight as she was taking it in the next morning.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:54:32 pm »
i'm no lover of the RSPCA by any chalk , however I think they are trying to swim against a very strong tide wrt animal welfare , I take my hat off to them .
I'd hate to have to work in the highly emotionally charged atmosphere of a place like the RSPCA. It's full of bleeding hearts / vegies / treehuuggers and fluffy bunny mentalities etc. with degree's in idiocy & back stabbing in place of common sense and sound management.
 It's a given that they can't affort to house , treat and feed all discarded and " rescued " ( I use that word very lightly ) animals , so a policy of euthenasia has to be employed after a while on the older stock and more difficult to place animals just to give them space to bring zillions of new creatures in .

I think The Wood Green animal shelters & The Dogs Trust  are the only places that will not put a rehousable healthy animal down , but they say nothing about the vicious unwanted ones with psychotic  problems or those that have been drug dealers attack dogs.
I've seen so many small time animal sancturies fall flat on their butts for want of cash and also staff to look after an ever swelling unwanted animal stock that it makes me feel that all these rescue places should be also intenslely scrutinised and heavily licenced after some serious training and business education.
 The RSPCA also end up going into these sort of places when the're full of sick half starved critters
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:24:24 am »
I think this is a very sad story of a woman who tried to do what she felt right for the people AND animals involved.
I too, agree with you, Plantoid, having also worked in an animal shelter who lost 90 percent of the animals as no homes available but the unwanted kept coming. There were too many lives lost due to unwanted animals on a weekly basis.
I now work in an environment where the animal comes first for medical treatment OR the owner comes first for what their needs are but the two are not combined so often the animal continues to suffer for the sake of an owner who has an animal they cannot afford but don't want to let go!
Or an owner is not committed to the basic care of the animal but we treat it free of charge for its welfare at the present time with no ability to follow the welfare through.
It is so upsetting.
In my opinion animals are a luxury or an obligation ( such as farming ). If you cannot afford the food, correct care or environment, vet fees etc then you should not have them. They are not an accessory or necessity!!

My thoughts are.with the family of this poor person

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:39 am »
In my opinion animals are a luxury or an obligation ( such as farming ). If you cannot afford the food, correct care or environment, vet fees etc then you should not have them. They are not an accessory or necessity!!

What we may forget is that circumstances can change.
It is easy to say if you can't afford animals don't have them, but if you already have the animals and your financial circumstances change or the economic climate changes, or their health changes you MUST NOT generalise. :rant:

I am on a pension, I had some savings, but recently a number of unforeseen bills have come my way, and my savings are almost gone.  I have three dogs, a cat and hens - they are here NOW, I can't get rid of them - they are older and are my friends.  But it is increasingly difficult to find ways to pay for the dogs' recent operations, and the repairs to various pieces of equipment.  So plastic is the answer for me, and hopefully a few years will improve the situation for me.  But many people don't have that back up.  So what do you do?  Take the animals away from them? shout loud that they shouldn't have had their animals in the first place despite the above comments?  - or help them? 
The RSPCA is not the appropriate organisation to help such people in my view.  Our SSPCA is extremely good and well thought of, and the PDSA can help, and there is also the Dogs Trust. My vet has just started up a pay as you go scheme, a sort of insurance, many others may do the same.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:08 pm »
I agree with you, Annie. I have had people tell me that we should not keep dogs as now I am disabled I can only take them out when it's dry as my scooter cannot be used in the rain, snow, strong wind, etc. How do we deal with that one? One is my OH's working guide dog. He still needs exercise even if he does get some when he's working. The second is the retired guide dog. He's been my OH's eyes for more than eight years and they have  special bond. Ok, the GDBA would rehome him but it would so hard to give him up. And then there's my dog. I've had her since she was eight weeks old and she is now 11 years. No one is going to take on an elderly dog who is getting to the stage where she might need medical care at any time. What do I do? have her put down? No way. In an ideal world they would have long walks every day but this isn't an ideal world. We are fortunate that we can still afford them though tbh the fact that GDBA pay for food and vet bills for the two guide dogs makes a big difference. We love our dogs and don't want to be parted from them.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:19 pm »

What we may forget is that circumstances can change.
It is easy to say if you can't afford animals don't have them, but if you already have the animals and your financial circumstances change or the economic climate changes, or their health changes you MUST NOT generalise. :rant:

I am on a pension, I had some savings, but recently a number of unforeseen bills have come my way, and my savings are almost gone.  I .

Hear, hear Annie  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 10:26:13 pm »
some very good posts above :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would just like to add an aside - don't be fooled by rescues who state they never put a healthy dog down - what this means in reality is that they never take a dog which may be a risk - they leave a lot of dogs in the pounds to be - yes - put down. But they can still make their claim because they haven't actually done the deed.

Personally I think that sadly some dogs will have to make an early journey, not their fault but by their breeding/raising  they will always be a danger to people.  Sad but true :-(
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS