Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat Bird Development Help  (Read 1989 times)

PIGBOY

• Joined Feb 2013
Meat Bird Development Help
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »
Hi all,
Right last year i set up a pen which consisted of a cuckoo maran cockeral and 6 indian game hens (A mixture of dark laced and Jubilees). My aim was to to produce a bird with the amount of beast and meat to weigh ratio of the indian game and the deep flavour and overall size of the cuckoo maran. I have 12 chicks from the pen and im bringing them on for the table but i would like to keep maybe a cockeral or two pullets back and develop my meat bird project further, so what do you guys think would be a good breed or breeds to cross them with next?

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: Meat Bird Development Help
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:32:10 pm »
Hi,it would be interesting to see some photos.I think I would be inclined to cross them back with the pure IG again.
To basically create a supper IG.

Graham.
Graham.

PIGBOY

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:40:10 pm »
Will get some in the morning for you, they're only 4 weeks old  but they're growing fast. I like the idea of crossing them back to an IG.
Keelan

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:54:50 pm »
Hi Keelan,

I was posting on here looking for advice on raising meat birds. I was sent a link on here which I presume the user wont mind me re-posting.

http://castlefarmeggs.co.uk/

There is lots of information on there. In particular the "improved indian game" seems similar to your plan of breeding an IG cross back to IG.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS