Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brecon Buff Incubation Time?  (Read 2486 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Brecon Buff Incubation Time?
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
Does anyone know how long the incubation for Brecon Buff geese is?

Have been trying to find out for a little while as have some in the incubator. All I can find out is that domestic geese hatch between 28 and 34 days depending on breed which is a pretty big spread!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Brecon Buff Incubation Time?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:50:30 pm »
I think even within a breed it can be a big spread. I checked with the West of England breeders I got my pair from and they've had WofE hatch anywhere between 28 and 32 days. I still haven't had any fertile eggs so you're already doing better than me!

H

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:50:23 pm »
Well had quite a traumatic day as we lost all leccy today on day 32 with 1 just out, 4 pipped and 3 to pip and me at work. Luckily came home a couple of hours early so had been without heat for about 3 hours. 2 goslings out, 2 pipped and alive but the rest had died which was very upsetting.

Cue lots of panicking and many goslings and eggs down the front of my jumper to try and save them.

We have 1 healthy and 1 wobbly gosling and the 2 surviving pipped eggs are still alive and now back in the incubator although seem pretty sluggish so trying to be realistic about their chances.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:36 pm »
Oh no! Horrific! Something that's completely out of your control and at such a vital stage. So sorry. Hope wobbly firms up and the pippers make it...

H

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »
Well the wobbly one is definitely better. One of the pipped ones has died but the other is hanging in there. Doesn't seem to be progressing though so not too hopeful. Keeping my fingers crossed though as it seems to be all I can do.

Here they are having a little cuddle on my lap after a busy 15 mins following me round the kitchen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS