Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick question...  (Read 1908 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
Quick question...
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »
Finally our lambing is getting underway (our 'huge' flock of 7!) At the mo they are lambing out then being brought into 'jugs' in barn for a day or 2. 3 out of 7 have lambed so far, I was considering letting the new mums and lambs bak out into the field tomorrow with the remaining 4 expectant ewes.

My question is this, is it safe for the lambs to do this? Or will the expectant Mums be miffed?

Many thanks!
Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Quick question...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:37:19 pm »
Due to unwanted attention from wethers  ::) , our in lamb ewes are lambing outdoors this year in the field that was intended as their "clean" field that they would be moved to once they had lambed. Hence the ewes with new lambs are lambing in with the ewes that are yet to lamb. There have been no problems. They have gone over and greeted the new arrivals (once they have got on their feet) and been very gentle. They all come to the trough to feed, including lambs.

Because yours have been penned away from the others for a while, I guess there could be a bit of a "fuss" when you first release them (as they greet each other) but think they should settle. Best probably to "supervise" for a time.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:14:01 am »
I wouldn't expect any problems, really, unless they are in a very small area where the new mums can't take their babies off to a safe, quiet corner.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:34:40 pm »
Well it all got interesting, I let them out and new Mum of twins just waltzed out and ran straight to her old Mum (who is expecting!!) No interest in lambs! Poor lambs left being (not too aggressively) butted by others as they very confusedly tried searching for Mum - who wasn't in slightest bit interested in baaing back at their calls!

Cue panic from me, and thinking quickly on spot I put the expecting Mums in a separate field, put new mum with twins back in barn and let my other mum out first who set an exemplory way to behave to her lambs! I then let mad mum back out and without attention of her Mum and the others she seems resigned to behaving like a Mum and today has seen good bonding and bleating from all concerned.

Trouble is I've now got expecting ones in another field away from barn so haven't been able to get them in tonight! And god knows what mad mum will be like when she sees her mum with lambs!

Sheep psychologists anyone?!

MxMx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS