Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cornwall  (Read 6616 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Cornwall
« on: May 04, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »
Just done a 6 hour drive and finally arrived 5 mins from St Ives. So come on you lovely Cornish people. What so I need to see while I am here? Eden project? Any nice gardens? It's so lovely now the sun is out!

morganski1

• Joined Mar 2013
Re: Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:52:29 pm »
Get your self a National Trust card if you don't already have one.  Most of the coastline is owned by them so you will save on parking charges.  As for your visit.  Start with checking out the beaches, wet suits and surf or body boards to hand. Some have lifeguards, so pay attention to their flags. Visit St Michaels mount, Lands End and Lizard point,  Minack theatre for some culture and Tate Modern, Pendennis and St Mawes castle, get a river boat trip from Falmouth up the River Fal to Truro or stop at the Hideaway pub on the way for lunch.. Don't forget it will be the Helston Flora Day on Wednesday, that's an excellent day out, don't forget your camera.  The Eden project is brilliant, expecially their restaurant, wear comfy shoes, Penjerrick gardens is known for its Rhodendrons. Lost garden of Heligan and Charlestown port would make a good day out in the St Austell area. That's just for starters, hope you enjoy yourself.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 04:18:13 pm »
Extend your mortgage for the Eden Project.....The seal rescue place at Gueek  is good, and the monkey world place.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »
A must is the historic port of Charlestown, well worth a visit, and if you can aford it you can buy it for £5.5m or there abouts. 

There are also the local livestock markets at Truro, Liskeard, Hallworthy, and they do have some just over the border.

But as Morganski says there are lots of great places in Cornwall to visit and some brill scenery and beaches.

Tala 
Pigs are human tooo

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 04:41:55 pm »
Great advice... Thanks. Gardeners Worls gives me a BOGOF for the Eden Project which makes it a bit more reasonable.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 06:03:04 pm »
Take your own food with you to Eden.

You must be close to Hayle and Gwithien so go to the Towens and look for the seals.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:58:26 pm »
Yes in a small but cosy barn type conversion overlooking devils mouth. Stunning. Only been to Conwall once before.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 07:30:46 pm »
The otter sanctuary near Launceston was the hi light of our holiday last year
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »
Set up a local get together? :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 07:59:13 pm »
Take your own food with you to Eden.

We thought the food was quite reasonable there but the entrance fee was pretty high. Does pay for a year's membership, mind...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 09:00:54 pm »
If you fancy a walk the Camel Trail is great and Padstow is definitely worth a visit - preferably on a sunny, calm evening.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 09:20:42 pm »
Lost gardens of Heligan
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 09:25:19 pm »
Definitely Heligan. Last time we were in Cornwall I insisted we went there (again). OH snoozed on a bench in the sun while I took endless photos of cabbages, carrot tops, beans and peas in the totally wonderful vegetable garden. The rest of the gardens aren't bad either.

St Ives is well worth spending a few hours in.

Eden project is great.

I love Mevagissey near St Austell, but that might be nostalgia as we had holidays there when I was young.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »
Dunno how I missed this - but hope you have been enjoying the time down here - and you have hit the jackpot with the weather!

You should go along for a walk at Tehidy (just up from Godrevy) there willl be loads of bluebells out in the woods  :thumbsup:  And on Mon the tide will be right to go over to St Michaels Mount walking on the causeway. Buy a pasty from Philp's in Hayle, or have lunch at the Sand Bar Praa Sands and watch the surfers

Loads to do  :excited: :excited:  and in the best place in the country  :excited: :sunshine:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:11 am »
For a random experience, go to Trago Mills in Liskard... its a discount shopping place, that sells everything.. Its also full of random stuff!

Falmouth is beautiful. Looe is nice. Don't bother with Newquay (tacky!) although Lusty Glaze had a nice cafe and beach, Padstow is pretty, but £££££.

Watch out for seagulls stealing your food!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS