Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do daffodils.....  (Read 3590 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Do daffodils.....
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:33:02 pm »
Do daffodils cheer us up in spring because they're yellow; or are they yellow so they cheer us up in spring; or do we find yellow a cheerful colour because that's the colour daffodils are in spring  :thinking: :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Do daffodils.....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:55 pm »
Someone is feeling philosophical this evening.....!
 :thumbsup:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:35 pm »
As with all flowers they have to attract the right insect that they have chosen as pollinator, insects are attracted to flowers that reflect the correct wavelength of light , so , as most spring flowers ( celandines , primroses, cowslips , daffs, crocus, etc) are yellow , there must be some hardy insects about to do the job. :thinking:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:20:05 pm »
Yellow is a cheery colour...it is also that of my Football team who tomorrow will be cheering me up no end, when they win and get promoted  :fc:  :excited:

having said that, I took a pic of my path all filled with dandelions earlier because despite them being weeds, they looked all bright and sunny  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:32:21 pm »
I have wondered the same thing!  And decided it was the last - yellow is cheery because spring flowers are (predominantly) yellow.  And so is the sun  :sunshine:, as I recall  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:02:56 pm »
They certainly bring a smile on a dull day  :sunshine:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:11:16 pm »
Well I don't know about the daffs...but the heat and the sun has made me quite horny this week :roflanim: :roflanim:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:37:11 am »
We promise not to tell the missus Karl  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:13:47 am »
I think yellow is an innately cheerful colour. Don't know if that's because it's the colour of spring flowers, the sun or if it's just something about it.

As to whether or not spring flowers are yellow in order to cheer us up, I suppose that depends on whether or not you believe in a being that is creating things with us in mind.

Whatever - in this miserable sprwinter, the daffodils have been better than ever, and they have definitely been welcome for their cheeriness  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:48:06 am »

As to whether or not spring flowers are yellow in order to cheer us up, I suppose that depends on whether or not you believe in a being that is creating things with us in mind.

Just Gaia  :sunshine:

Lovely replies so far - except perhaps for carl f k -  :roflanim:

It's been such a long and dreary winter that those lovely bobbing yellow and cream heads are a delight  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 04:07:52 pm »
 :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: gotta have a laugh after all the doom and gloom of late :sunshine:

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 11:18:23 pm »
Do daffodils cheer us up in spring because they're yellow; or are they yellow so they cheer us up in spring; or do we find yellow a cheerful colour because that's the colour daffodils are in spring  :thinking: :)

That's the principle of the Bach flower remedies is it not ? See a colour in a flower , feel happy ....your cured ... :o

I've just put me tin hat on , found my flak jacket ,checked the food stores, ammo & water ..it could be along hard siege . ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:21:55 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 09:22:59 am »

Yes.

(that is all!) ;)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 09:17:32 pm »
Whichever way round it is, they do cheer us up. They can even make a dull day seem cheerier. When I was at uni I loved the day in the early spring when I drove over a particular hill on the way in to be greeted with 'a host of golden daffodils' to quote the well known poet. It made even the thought of the lecture to come bearable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS