Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sudden death ??  (Read 3122 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
sudden death ??
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »
This afternoon I went to check for eggs and found our 8 month old Orpington hen dead on the floor. All the other hens and cock are fine. She shows no signs of being attacked by anything no feathers pulled out. She was fine and happy when I let them out for a wander this morning. Eyes were clear and she had just started laying. Looking at the way she was laying he could of been chased buy one of the others and broken her neck against the wall. Does anyone else have any ideas ? There is no chance of it being a predator.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: sudden death ??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:53:02 pm »
I found one of my hens a few months back who looked as if she had just went to sleep, vet said she could have had a heart problem.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:53:39 pm »
I have had one or two odd hens over the years just die for no apparent reason.  Healthy one minute, gone the next.  Don,t know why think its just one of those things. All others fine with no problems.  Sad when this happens especially if its a favorite hen.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:03:45 pm »
Same here, it happens. Our two year old LS cockerel dropped dead while I was feeding them last year. One minute he was perfectly normal, the next he was dead on the floor.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 07:11:38 pm »
Ok, thanks for that. Slightly more reassured now :-)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:16:39 am »
We've had several die at that age for no apparent reason 90driver. Assumed it was a heart problem as the combs were purple.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS