Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Changing food  (Read 1685 times)

Rhys Jones

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Rhydyclafdy, Pwllheli
Changing food
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:33:57 pm »
At what age do you switch from chick crumb to growers pellets? ??? I have light Sussex chicks if that makes any difference?  :chook:

Rhys

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Changing food
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:49:32 pm »
I'm a first time egg hatcher so can only give advice on what I have been reading.

My understanding is:-
Chick crumbs until 4weeks then gradually introduce growers pellets so the chicks are on growers alone by between 5 and 6 weeks.

as I say, I am a first time hatcher so this is only from reading books and Internet info ( and data from the food company I am using ) so no experience for any practical advice.
You could google the food company of the growers you are using. Most do give advice on the age range for the product. I am now using Haygates

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:41:13 pm »
I usually wean mine onto pellets from about three and a half weeks they are always on 100% pellets before 5 weeks. Chick crumb is too damn expensive!

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:14:06 am »
Hi,five to six weeks is the norm.Don't change to early as growers pellets are lower protein that the chick crumb so changing to early could reduce the growth rate.Hubard's as Ross Cobbs usually go on to growers pellets at 3 to 4 weeks but they grow much quicker.
I find it's usually about the same time as the chick fully feathers up,I find they get to a point where they suddenly seem to be eating chick crumb quicker than you can put it down thats when I change.
I don't normally mess about mixing the crumb with the pellets to much,I just switch them straight over,if they wont eat the pellets just sprinkle some crumb over the top,they soon get the idea.

Graham.
Graham.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:21:49 am »
Depends on the pellet size as well. We switch over at about 5-6 weeks to smallholder rearers, which are smaller pellets than most. In France they sell an intermediate pellet which is smaller still. We had an Orpington that didn't like the size of the pellets so we ended up grinding the pellets for two weeks. She's still a funny bird -likes wormer paste and hangs around for more!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS