Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My new Eco 20 incubator.  (Read 3195 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
My new Eco 20 incubator.
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:13 am »
I loaded my Eco 20 incubator up for the first time yesterday. Now the chicken eggs that I put in it weren't particularly large ones but inspite my best efforts, I could only fit 20 eggs into it. The bumf that came with it definately said that it would take 24 hens eggs, am I missing something here ? :innocent:

My dear wifes answer to this problem was " Perhaps thats why they call it the Eco 20 " :idea:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: My new Eco 20 incubator.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:55:31 am »
24 Quail eggs perhaps  :roflanim:

NB - only 4 days before hatch is due  :fc: :excited:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:59:54 am »
I have recently hatched in the same type you have, after candling removed 6 infertile eggs, leaving only 18. However on hatching days having all the chicks in was quite a challenge and had to remove some to brooder to give others space to dry out

Happy hatching
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:17:42 pm »
How on earth did you fit the 24 in, in the first place? :idea:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »
As well as hens eggs I had smaller duck eggs
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:30 pm »
Ive got the same - deffo 20 hens max.  Great inci though - so simple. Great to watch them hatch (say bye bye to many hours at hatch time though) - but good tip from 'Darkbrowneggs'  cover with a towel (air vent aside) at hatch time so that the hatched dont waste too much energy flapping around and its more like being under the hen.    second year, 7th hatch in at the moment  :excited: :excited:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:28:47 pm »
If I have a staggered hatch, then I have an old incubator on stand by and I chuck the chicks into that once they've dried and fluffed up.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »
It must be a typo in the bumph. I would have thought the '20' part of it's name meant it took a maximum of 20 chicken eggs.
 :chook:

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17:14 pm »
Hi,I can get 24 light sussex eggs in mine ;D

Graham.
Graham.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:11 pm »
I've got the 40 and that says it'll take 48 chicken eggs so it's not a typo. TBH, I've not tried it because I've got duck and goose eggs in there - I was v.hard pressed to get 13 duck eggs and 6 goose eggs into it but I've got the bars and buffers in too (which in theory means they roll to give them closer to 180° turn but given the cradle is still not functioning, it's all hypothetical).

What weight are your hens eggs? I've noticed how dramatically the size and shape can vary even from the same breed - the biggest single yolk Orps eggs I've had were over 70g, the smallest about 45g. I thought those little ones were small unitl I collected bantam eggs from our neighbours and they were tiny. So I can well imagine I'd fit 48 bantam eggs into mine. Equally I assumed my duck eggs were normal unitl I got some hatching duck eggs in and realised mine are quite a lot bigger in comparison.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS