Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens Stopped Laying?  (Read 3368 times)

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
Hens Stopped Laying?
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:56:15 am »
Hi,

We have 3 hens (one is about 20 weeks so not laying yet) the other 2 started laying February for the 1st time and about 3 weeks ago they both just stopped.  Their layers pellets are the same, they have plenty water and oyster shell and they get some corn in the evening.  There does seem to be a few feathers lying around so I am wondering if they are coming into their first molt?  Could this be the reason?  Should they be moulting now?  ???

I have had to buy eggs from the shop!!!!  Please help!!!!

Tullywood Farm

Re: Hens Stopped Laying?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:33 am »
Hi Gill and Tom

It could be that the different extremes in temp have brought them into an early moult and if so Hens can only produce Eggs or Feathers as the protein levels required to produce both couldn't be got from any of the feeds available on the market.
What type of hens are they?.
Some breeds don't lay too many eggs, breeds like Silkie's for example only lay 40 to 50 eggs and some others can lay up to 300 let me know what breed they are and I will let you know what to expect.
Is there no FARMER around you that would have eggs for sale totally free range as even the so called free range from the shops are no where near the quality that your own eggs will be.
You could also try your local Farmers Market but remember to get there early as we find that they sell REALLY fast in our Farmers Market.
If you require any more info do not hesitate to ask as I have lots of experience with poultry as we use to breed over 50 types of poultry .
Kind regards
Joe

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:53:01 pm »
Thanks Joe,

The hens are just your general farmyard cross (there is a wee picture on my profile - one is white with red comb and the other is brown with black specks  round her neck).  Not sure what they are exactly but they were laying every day from Feb - till June.  Should they have their first molt now?  If so how long will it last for and when should I expect to see some eggs again?  You are right -  the free range ones from the shop are rubbish now that I have had the real thing.  I think next time I shall pop over to Rosemary and get some from her if mine don't start again soon. x G

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:55:19 pm »
Hi - ours stopped laying in the hot weather too, but are now back in action.  One other thing that slowed them down was red mite in the poultry shed.  They will lose some feathers with these little horrors too.  It may be worth checking in all the nooks and crannies, and underneath the roosting bars to see if there are any tiny specks of dust on the move.  If so, you'll need to get some red mite spray and powder for the chickens too - and empty all the bedding out, scrub the hen house, and then spray it.  Within days they were laying again.  You just need to keep checking because you may find that more have hatched out again after 3 weeks if you missed any the first time.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:04:24 pm »
Ours went off a bit a couple of weeks ago but seem fine now. Ours moulted in August last year...

sandy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »
I started to have the odd day when my Black Rocks did not always lay but they are back to normal now as I have 10 hens in total and today got 9 eggs, most days I get 7 so not too bad!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS