Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhododendron poisoning  (Read 2507 times)

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
Rhododendron poisoning
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:44:38 pm »
Im sure this topic pops up a lot here, but its just a quick question...
I know Rhododendron is poisonous to goats, so ours dont get anywhere near any.... but yesterday they found a Laurel bush. Im ashamed to say it took me about 5 minutes too long to realise is related to Rhododendron, and now of course they are both sick.
They ate it yesterday afternoon, around 2pm, and started being ill around 9pm. Austin, our bigger Golden Guernsey now appears to be fully recovered, but little Timmy is still vomiting and very shaky on his legs. He's refusing food, but we're keeping him topped up with fluids.
Treatment was the usual cold strong sweet tea, oil, ginger etc, and Timmy did eat most, but as hes the runt and its now been about 24 hours, Im very worried about him.
So my question is simply how long does it usually take for them to recover?
Thanks

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Rhododendron poisoning
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
Sorry, I can't answer your question but if you're worried about him, why not phone the vet for advise.  I think it's just a matter of treat the symptoms, keep him hydrated as you're doing and sit it out.
Are his heart beat and respiratory rate near normal?

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »
Hi
Thanks for the reply  :goat:
 I spoke to our local vet this afternoon who advised we carry on with what we have been doing (tea, fluids etc). I havnt checked his hearbeat - to be honest I dont know what it usually sounds like anyway - but he seems to be breathing just fine.
I'll go have a listen and check its not racing or dragging and report back
Thanks

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:31:19 am »
I hope Timmy is ok today,  :fc:  the only thing I can think that you are not already doing is to give turmeric to ease the throat. I don't know if it works but is something I was told. Bramble and willow to eat too.  :fc:
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:09 am »
Thank you - Timmy is now eating a little, and Austin is back to his old self... being a bully and eating everything he can hoover up.
The only thing that concerns me now is that Iv not seen Timmy pellet at all. I could of course have missed it, but Austin has pelleted 3 times  while Iv been keeping an eye on them.
I guess Timmy maybe hasnt enough food in his system yet (he's still being fussy, but took some carrot and apple this morning, and a little hay yetserday, plus a couple of grapes) but Im concerned his 2nd stomach may have shut down... Iv been warned of this, but I dont know exactly what to look for. He doesnt appear bloated at all, so I'll keep him topped up with fluids and keep on giving him a nibble in the hope it activates his digestive system.... or am I being over dramatic?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:43:27 am »
Can you hear him ruminating if you put your head near his tummy? I'd keep going with the hay and bits to keep his rumen going as you are. I think you've had a scare, its ok to be worried! been there, got the t-shirt...you are doing all you can.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS