Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: NUTS  (Read 4935 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
NUTS
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:32:46 pm »
The boys are booked in a week Wednesday to have them  OFF!!!! Oucha.... I bet willow will be bleating her head off when they go missing for a few hours...... Bet you were thinking it was a feeding topic :roflanim:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: NUTS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:41:43 pm »
Might be a dumb question but why didn't you put a band on at a day or so old? Cheaper and less stressful for all, well except you having to do that to another chap!

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »
New and inexperienced and no one local to come and show me..vet said wait till they are older and take them in

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:46:25 pm »
I ring ours myself, once you have been shown how to do it its easy.
be prepared she might get stroppy with them when they come back as they will smell totaly different
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:40:06 am by sokel »
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:51:18 pm »
I'm sure someone round you must be sheepdog or goaty. Next time take one into vet and they can show you. It is quite simple once you've been shown although they are slippery little suckers and you need to watch they don't shoot back inside when the ring closes!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:23:15 pm »
When I took my boys to be done, I had to stay with each of them to hold their heads whilst OH stayed by the car holding them before and after.
It was not a pleasant experience, especially as the vet plonked the offending articles on the floor by the boys and asked us if we wanted to take them home. Do they fry up nicely with onions by any chance? My advice, if you do have to hold them, look away!!!
However, I was amazed how quickly they got over the experience,  they were back to normal after a couple of days.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:01:26 pm »
I've been breeding pygmy's for a few years but banding is something I have never been confident with. Only a few goats to do, they make a lot of noise at the anticipation of something going on so mine have always gone to the vet - then they are done.

This year I have been helping at a local farm with lambing and under guidance been ringing all the male lambs - now I've done over 200 I can do it myself and feel confident I won't cock it up but with only average of 6 male kids to do a year there was no way I would ever have the same confidence.

Carl I'm sure your wee guys will be bouncing around fine after  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:51 pm »
Thats how I learnt to do it, I have helped farmer friends for years and must have done hundreds of lambs, now doing the goats is no problem at all. None of the 4 we did last week made a sound  ::)
Graham

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:32 am »
I had the vet ring mine as they were so little even she had difficulty and when BB went in to be disbudded the vet who did that said that the ring wasn't small enough.
Anne

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:49:47 pm »
Job done...that's quietened them down..for a while anyway :fc:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:07 pm »
Curry was done at the same time as the disbudding but i know you're not having that done, Carl.  It was all very easy except they were supposed to drop off after two weeks and it took about a month.  Didn't bother him though and it certainly didn't stop him from trying it on with his mum every time she came into season.

A friend was looking after the goats when they did drop off and she left them lying around in the house.  I Spent a few minutes looking at this object and wondering what it was before I realised.   :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 07:47:09 am »
I requested that our wether was banded while under GA for disbudding and they did it surgically. grrr! he still has a  'purse' that could catch and caused a lot of ranting when the togg breeders ass people came to see us for a visit but...on the plus side, we know that both balls are gone for sure I guess!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:21:38 am »
Yeh the vet did it surgically so still got a ball bag

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 08:22:48 am »
We've had no problems with our ball bag - I think it just cost me more to have it done that way than a band. Either way, he's sixpence no-nuts which was what we set out to achieve  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS