NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Checks after lambing....  (Read 2367 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Checks after lambing....
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »
I just wondered how often you people check your sheep once they have all lambed? I feel I should see them as much as when they were lambing but I do tend to overly worry.

I need weaning from my lambs!
Voss Electric Fence

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Checks after lambing....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:12:11 pm »
I check them twice a day when I feed the ewes and at bedtime, when I make sure they are all mothered up. They ARE in the field outside the house, so if I hear ongoing bleating, I'll slip out and check all is well  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:15:16 pm »
Yes, twice a day when the lambs are young.  Once a day is okay later on, unless there is any other reason to see them twice.

Best time to check on families is dawn/very early morning - usually the ewes are curled up with their babes.  Later on it gets harder to check mothering and even to count lambs, as the lambs play their own games! :D

If you feed cake, it's a good idea to check that the families have regrouped successfully afterwards.  Lambies nearly always get a milk feed after mum's had her cake. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cow, beef cattle, pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:19:45 pm »
Later on it gets harder to check mothering and even to count lambs, as the lambs play their own games! :D

Not difficult to count lambs when you only have 4 like I do. Don't even need to count on my fingers  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »
I do a head count a couple of times a day, and when I have checked them they are always ok.  Every time there's been a problem, it's when I haven't been there  :P .

Monday hubby had been doing the rounds, and yesterday I went out to check them and sure enough, two lambs were in different fields! ::) ::)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »
I check about 3 or 4 times a day but only cos I can't get enough of watching them. Still waiting for mine to start tho!

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:09:34 pm »
I check constantly when I'm at home - just can't get enough of them.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »
I nip over and sit in their field shelter late at night and always get a lamby clambering up on my knee for a cuddle. It's usually Betsy's little boy. He loves a snuggle buggle. It's SOOOO hard to leave. Of course I'm checking on their safety or so I tell my OH  :eyelashes:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:43:48 pm »
I nip over and sit in their field shelter late at night. Of course I'm checking on their safety or so I tell my OH  :eyelashes:
Ha ha!  It's not just me then :innocent: It was terrible tearing myself away to go back to the day job this morning :(

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »
I nip over and sit in their field shelter late at night and always get a lamby clambering up on my knee for a cuddle. It's usually Betsy's little boy. He loves a snuggle buggle. It's SOOOO hard to leave. Of course I'm checking on their safety or so I tell my OH  :eyelashes:

And why not enjoy your babies while they're small, they'll soon be horrid teenagers make the most of it. ;)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
I think its lovely how much we all love our sheep! I was worried by leaving them to it would be frowned upon. Roll on an early night and a half an hour lay in!

Ohh and I find it hard to tear myself away too  so i'll jump in the same boat too!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »
Once all are lambed I check once a day.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »
I'm a morning and evening person with a good sit on the fence on a nice evening, even when they grow up I still like to check all is well.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Night time checks

Started by Haylo-peapod

Replies: 15
Views: 4707
Last post April 01, 2012, 04:45:28 pm
by jaykay
When do you start your night checks? How early have yours Lambed?

Started by Crossways

Replies: 12
Views: 4194
Last post February 17, 2015, 01:24:10 pm
by Marches Farmer
Lambing so far!!

Started by dixie

Replies: 20
Views: 5868
Last post June 01, 2010, 08:55:48 am
by pikilily
Lambing Course

Started by VSS

Replies: 15
Views: 7301
Last post January 05, 2011, 12:00:14 am
by waterhouse
Nearly done lambing

Started by TheCaptain

Replies: 19
Views: 5149
Last post January 18, 2012, 01:16:51 pm
by TheCaptain

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS