Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Checks after lambing....  (Read 4292 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Checks after lambing....
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »
I just wondered how often you people check your sheep once they have all lambed? I feel I should see them as much as when they were lambing but I do tend to overly worry.

I need weaning from my lambs!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Checks after lambing....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:12:11 pm »
I check them twice a day when I feed the ewes and at bedtime, when I make sure they are all mothered up. They ARE in the field outside the house, so if I hear ongoing bleating, I'll slip out and check all is well  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:15:16 pm »
Yes, twice a day when the lambs are young.  Once a day is okay later on, unless there is any other reason to see them twice.

Best time to check on families is dawn/very early morning - usually the ewes are curled up with their babes.  Later on it gets harder to check mothering and even to count lambs, as the lambs play their own games! :D

If you feed cake, it's a good idea to check that the families have regrouped successfully afterwards.  Lambies nearly always get a milk feed after mum's had her cake. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:19:45 pm »
Later on it gets harder to check mothering and even to count lambs, as the lambs play their own games! :D

Not difficult to count lambs when you only have 4 like I do. Don't even need to count on my fingers  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »
I do a head count a couple of times a day, and when I have checked them they are always ok.  Every time there's been a problem, it's when I haven't been there  :P .

Monday hubby had been doing the rounds, and yesterday I went out to check them and sure enough, two lambs were in different fields! ::) ::)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »
I check about 3 or 4 times a day but only cos I can't get enough of watching them. Still waiting for mine to start tho!

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:09:34 pm »
I check constantly when I'm at home - just can't get enough of them.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »
I nip over and sit in their field shelter late at night and always get a lamby clambering up on my knee for a cuddle. It's usually Betsy's little boy. He loves a snuggle buggle. It's SOOOO hard to leave. Of course I'm checking on their safety or so I tell my OH  :eyelashes:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:43:48 pm »
I nip over and sit in their field shelter late at night. Of course I'm checking on their safety or so I tell my OH  :eyelashes:
Ha ha!  It's not just me then :innocent: It was terrible tearing myself away to go back to the day job this morning :(

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »
I nip over and sit in their field shelter late at night and always get a lamby clambering up on my knee for a cuddle. It's usually Betsy's little boy. He loves a snuggle buggle. It's SOOOO hard to leave. Of course I'm checking on their safety or so I tell my OH  :eyelashes:

And why not enjoy your babies while they're small, they'll soon be horrid teenagers make the most of it. ;)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
I think its lovely how much we all love our sheep! I was worried by leaving them to it would be frowned upon. Roll on an early night and a half an hour lay in!

Ohh and I find it hard to tear myself away too  so i'll jump in the same boat too!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 06:12:59 pm »
Once all are lambed I check once a day.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »
I'm a morning and evening person with a good sit on the fence on a nice evening, even when they grow up I still like to check all is well.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS