Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: constipated bottle fed lamb?  (Read 23902 times)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
constipated bottle fed lamb?
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »
iv got a 4 1/2 week old lamb i got at 2 weeks old to bottle feed.was one of triplets.had colostrum, vits,antibiotic jab and heptavac before i got her.
shes on a bucket feeder and started picking at hayge and creep at weekend..monday had big belly when i went to do am check and was quiet all day.didnt poo but weeing ok..i made her run around a lot that evening and took creep/hayge out of pen and left just water and milk in bucket feeder.
had got less bloated looking over the day.and bright , lively and wanting to drink milk still.
today as less bloated this am..just gave milk again and diluted it more than normal..still no poo all day but did do a few timy dry pellets in pen overnight...
again bright, lively and wanting to drink..so gave only diluted milk tonight and put 8ml castor oil down her throat too...
was this right..
should i do anything else..dont think shes bloating..just a bit constipated..weeing lots.
new to this bottle lamb stuff...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: constipated bottle fed lamb?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »
My Twiglet did this at 8 days old, I offered a bottle of warm water in between bottles of milk and as he glugged that back my suspicion is that he was thirsty not hungry. He soon 'went' afterwards ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12:50 am »
anyone? im a novice lamb keeper so really need advice

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:23:32 am »
Sounds like you are doing all the right things.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:36 pm »
Certainly make sure there is plenty of fresh drinking water available at all times.  Offering a bottle of slightly warmed water between milk feeds may help, as you say she is peeing no problem.

Castor oil is fine, any kind of vegetabe oil, or paraffin, to help unbung a constipation.  You may need to give quite a bit...

Do you see the lamb cudding ok?  If its rumen has stopped working you could give natural (live) yoghurt to help restart it; some people mix a little of this in with the bottle milk as a routine thing. 

A little sodium bicarb can help restart the rumen too - be aware that it can cause some spectacular belching and farting!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS