Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hi new to forum  (Read 7456 times)

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
hi new to forum
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:48:54 am »
hello everyone, I discovered this site yesterday and just cant stay away.years since i did the smallholder stuff (had chooks , horses, geese and veggy plot in the past) I have been living in a village for the past 10 years with just a garden nice but not really big enough to put in a veg patch (and deeds stated no poultry could be kept).I really missed this type of living and thought i would never feel the freedom of open fields and animals in the garden.  However things are looking up for us in about 4 weeks we will be the very excited owners of a little bungalow in a neighbouring village with a field at the back of just over 2 and a 1/2 an acres. We plan to get some 6 chooks, 2 geese and would love to get 2 Norwegian forest cats. and i want to plant an orchard, a strawberry patch, veg plot, ooooh I'm so excited.  The down side is that i cant do much (no lifting) for about 8 weeks as I had a hysterectomy 10 days ago Pooh!!!!!  would love to get to know you all and share your fun. lara x
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:48:38 pm by lara »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: hi new to forum
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:44:42 am »
Hi wonderful to see such enthusiasm especially after an operation.  So spend the next eight weeks planning what you will do, looking at seed catalogues and if pos. get someone else to start the heavy digging for the veggies, after all you have the perfect 'excuse'. 

Welcome and looking forward to hearing how you get on. 

sandy

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:48:02 am »
Hello from Clackmannan, while you are recovering you will be able to plan and research,  you'll soon be fighting fit and what a great way to get fresh air and excersise!!!!

crafty Chic

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Retford, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:53:49 am »
Hi Lara
Welcome to the forum, you will really enjoy it in here, even if its just lisening to what the other members are upto, for now, take it easy and get weel soon. x

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »
Hi Lara

Welcome to the site - I am new too, my name is Julie.  Hope your feeling well, I had a radical hysterectomy four years ago for cancer so I know what you have gone through - take it easy.
Pleased you can grow again and have so much enthusiasm.  Good luck and best wishes in your new Home - Julie

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 03:45:04 pm »
hi everyone thanks so much for such a lovely warm welcome, luckily my other half Daz is strong and if not quite as enthusiastic as me he is willing to do all the fetching and carrying that i would normally do for the garden, (we also plan to take a wall down in the bungalow  before we move in so that will definately mean that a man's work is never done! . We bought 4 apple trees and a plum tree yesterday so unfortunately i think he will be planting them too - bless!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:27:25 pm »
Hi and welcome. Sounds like you ahve some good projects going on there.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:52:46 pm »
Hi lara, welcome to the madhouse, take your  time and get better, good size piece of ground to play with..................neil

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 12:45:37 pm »
Hi Lara, welcome to the site.  I had to look up the Norwegian forest cats, My God they are gorgeous!  Would love some myself but my OH is not big into cats so what I have live quite happily outside.  Don't think they would survive outside around our farm too long without getting filthy!  Be sure to post photos when you get them  :)

Hope you have a quick recovery, hopefully time will fly with all the planning and organising!

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 01:38:34 pm »
Hi gang , thanks for all your well wishes i'm getting better as each day goes by and feel happy to do a bit more 'pottering'. today i potted up some of the runners on my strawberry plants (last autumn I sacrificed 1/2 of the front garden to strawberry plants (about 20) we've had quite a few straws already but now the plants are sending out runners all over the place and i was advised by a lady in the know who used to grow straws for PYO that i can take 3 plants from each runner - each plant is sending out about 6 each , so by my reckoning that'll be enough to do my strawberry patch in the new place - fab.......... and i only stated off origionally with about 8 plants, heck they breed quicker than rabbits dont they!!!. but its raining now so thought i'd write a quick note. Lara x

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 02:10:47 pm »
Oh forgot to say -yesterday OH helped me to make some rhubarb ice-cream (he had to do the heavy stuff) we tasted it last night it was just heavenly and soooooo creamy. I know there's lots of rhubarb about at the mo so if anyone wants the recipe let me know.....you definitely wont be sorry. Lara x

sandy

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 06:19:36 pm »
Sounds great, I love Rhubarb, why don't you post it on the recipe bit...I dip in and out of that, a bit like a recipe book......sadly, I cannot grow Rhubarb!!!!!!

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:04:43 pm »
hi Sandy, yes good idea I will post the recipe for rhubarb ice-cream on the recipe section. we had some tonight for tea with some strawberries - yummy. Lara x

sandy

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 07:27:26 pm »
I planted some where I now keep the chickens and Ducks and it was far too dry as we have a lot of large trees, good for sheltering the birds but not so good for RHubarb, I would suspect the hens would also eat the leaves!!!!!! The rest of my garden is mainly shrubs with tubs of flowers and herbs so no place for Rhubarb, never mind, the tinned stuff is nice as the real stuff can be a bit overpriced..

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 07:56:06 pm »
Hi Sandy, yes tinned rhubarb is v good we always used to use it before we got our own, the ice-cream would be just as good if using tinned I'm sure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS