Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How effective is using goats milk to rear foster lambs?  (Read 6933 times)

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: How effective is using goats milk to rear foster lambs?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 04:35:32 pm »
I keep goats for their milk so if I do get a couple of orphan lambs it's much cheaper for me to give them goat's milk than buy the powdered stuff.  Although it does mean less milk for us.  Coming up to lambing time, I tend to freeze any spare so that I have plenty to go round.

I generally milk the goats straight into bottles and give to the lambs while still warm.

My goats only kid every two years and I try to wean them off very quickly.  The kids are another problem, not easy to sell and there is now only one abattoir in our area that will take them and even that is a fair distance away.

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »
Where abouts are you? I thought there was a novelty demand for nanny goats but I also know billys can be a pain lol. Need to see what happens, been kinda tight for lambs this year wat with the bad weather  :(
C mccrossan, foster lamb farm

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »
We are in North East Scotland and there doesn't seem to be much demand for goat kids here.  Never tried to sell a milking goat so I can't comment on that.  We don't keep our boys intact, they are castrated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS