Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How effective is using goats milk to rear foster lambs?  (Read 6929 times)

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
How effective is using goats milk to rear foster lambs?
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:48:16 pm »
I rear lambs year in year out but as I'm only 20 I haven't yet had the chance to experience wether using a goat to rear lambs is effective. For example if I bought a goat and got it producing milk by kidding it could I then use the goats milk to rear the lambs?
C mccrossan, foster lamb farm

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: How effective is using goats milk to rear foster lambs?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »
I've used milk from my goats to rear lambs and also a calf in the past.

I don't know how it compares to milk substitute in terms of growth rate but it has certainly produced some healthy beasts.

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:06:59 pm »
Could you foster the lambs onto the goat if your using it's milk?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:08:54 pm »
i know ballingall on here rears lambs on goats milk successfully...

as for fostering on, i have never heard of it but someone else will have to answer that question...

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:11:00 pm »
Just seems a better idea than paying hand over foot for milk replacers

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
Goat's milk is just as good, probably better, that lamb milk replacer.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:18:30 pm »
Seems il be looking for some nanny goats for next years batch of lambs then lol. Profit margins will go up a good bit which is a win win  :)

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:58:25 pm »
I've never tried letting the lamb drink straight from the goat but the calf did.  I could never get it to drink from a bottle but it was fine on the goat.

The goat didn't seem to mind once she was on her milking table with a bucket of food in front of her.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 06:23:13 pm »
Several farmers have used our goats milk to feed the lambs and had great success. We will be rearing all of ours this year on goats milk where as last year we used powder so will be interesting to see if there is any difference.
I know one person who put lambs onto a goat a few years ago and they ruined the goats udder  :(
Graham

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:37:25 pm »
Seems il be looking for some nanny goats for next years batch of lambs then lol. Profit margins will go up a good bit which is a win win  :)

Don't forget the cost of keeping the goats year round.  May not be cheaper.

More fun though. :)

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 06:40:27 pm »
Yea but it's a case of getting another happy animal to give cute bleats

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:53:00 pm »
Before you jump right in and buy a nanny goat please make sure you know what goatkeeping is all about.

What are you going to do with the goat kids if you use the milk for lambs? Kids need about 2 ltrs per day (as do lambs) and you would therefore need a nanny that would give well in excess of a gallon a day to have any milk left over for lambs, or you would need a really good-runner through (as goat milked in her second yera of lactation without a kidding in that year). These goats are not cheap, need good feed all year round (to maintain the lactation), a shed, regular foot trimming, vaccination etc etc.

So I would think unless you reallly want to become a goatkeeper, and then use any spare milk for lambs it will be cheaper (on an annual costing) to just buy replacer... If it were cost effective to rear lambs on goatsmilk (by having goats on their farm) many more farmers would do it...

Oh, and never let lambs suckle a goats udder, it will be ruined. Bottle feeding, therefore milking out twice a day is an additional job on the farm...

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:34 pm »
I see were your coming from, jus looking for ideas to increase profits as I am trying to turn this into a large project each year, the other thing was iv been looking for goat kids to bottle rear as I am interested in them but don't know any local goat breeders

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 01:36:48 pm »
You're more likely to get spare goat kids from a comercial goat farm, I think everyone on here would raise their own. :)

I've had a few farmers near me ask about getting a goat to feed the lambs, apparently there was a welsh farming program showing someone doing it a couple of years ago.  So far none are doing it.  Too much else to do at lambing time to start looking after a goat as well.

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:39 pm »
Yea the thing is I'm more into just rearing foster lambs rather than going inti rearing foster lambs while lambing a flock aswel. I am planning on building a business out of ewes, calfs, goats and incubation just at the present the stepping stone is bottle rearing young animals. Il look out for a commercial goat farm fir kids

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS