Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new member  (Read 7651 times)

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:23:31 pm »
Hello. just joined your site. I am a very part time pig farmer. We got this year's set of weaners last week, 4 Tamworths, which are absolutely gorgeous, though very skittish just yet. They will let me stroke them now after a week of much sitting on concrete floor and being patient.
Any advice gratefully accepted. Do I need to worm them? they will go on virgin ground (ie not used by pigs before) and have come from a good source.
Many thanks. Kate

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:12:49 pm »
Welcome Kate. What a wonderful choice you have made, I love Tamworths. In no time at all they will be rolling over for their bellies to be rubbed!

You say your weaners have come from a good source so the mother probably will have been wormed pre birth which will give the piglets initial cover for worms. We always inject our weaners before they go at around 9 weeks against all parasites internal and external which should give them four months cover. We repeat as a matter of course thereafter for our own stock and advise others to do the same. On virgin ground six monthly worming should be fine.

Tamworths are prone to lice unfortuantely so keep a close eye on that. If yours should get them you will first notice them around the neck and ears. They are crab like insects that bury their heads into the skin. They are simple to treat with a solution from your vet which you sponge over their bodies and the effect is pretty instant. Worming can be done with powder in a sandwich or something. We find it easier to inject - it covers everything at the same time. The only thing to bear in mind with the injections is that you cannot slaughter them for about 60 days after giving it.

Good luck with them and keep us posted on their antics of which I am sure there will be plenty with four of them!

Kate
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:31:59 pm by pigsatlesrues »
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:34:04 am »
hey... welcome to the forums  ;D

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:30:34 pm »
thanks very much Kate, I will do the same. I used to be a nurse, so I should remember how to inject! Kate

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:30 pm »
Hello Kate & Welcome

There are lots of knowledgable people on this site, I'm sure you'll love it.  I've just got myself two Gossie weaners & a Mangalitsa  :)

Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:37:05 pm »
Whilst they are small and manageable, get to handle them really well, make sure they know you and come for food so that if they get out you can call them, rattle a bucket and they should follow you home. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 06:44:37 pm »
Hi, Kate

Welcome to the TAS forums - I'm sure you'll enjoy them. We've got three Tamworth weaners to pick up on the 29th / 30th March - really looking ofrward to it - just hope the ground dries up a bit and the grass grows. This time last year the pens were well covered with grass - this year, very little.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:17 pm »
Rosemary, you will love them  I guarantee it. The problem I always have is parting with them.. We have a two week old litter at the moment and they are so beautiful. I think you always a soft spot for one type and this is mine I am afraid.

I have to say that I much prefer letting them go for breeding rather than growing on for meat. Two girls were reserved this weekend from the litter and I can't help feeling rather sad about it because they are so perfect. We have another two litters due next month, but since this is the season for weaners I guess I better toughen up.

Will I ever make a hardend farmer?!!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 08:26:19 pm »
Hello Kate and a warm welcome from me..........................and my pigs! ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 06:02:43 pm »
hiya from fws aka linz (in sunny sletty scotland )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS