Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Business  (Read 14430 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Pig Business
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 08:26:45 am »
Sounds good

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 09:39:41 am »
Some good food  ;D for thought there Donard. The 'farmers' markets around me are very much hit-and-miss affairs. You are more like to find a few new-agers with scraggly tomato plants than any real decent produce. Though I suppose it's a start.
I would have gone along to sell myself if I wasn't completely incompetent at selling and if ever I had enough surplus produce at the one time. So the idea of sharing could be a breakthrough.
Regards,
Muc
By the way I gather by the fact that you have a vote on Lisbon that you are in Ireland. Maybe we could get a Pig People organisation going.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 03:44:01 pm »
Muc
By the way I gather by the fact that you have a vote on Lisbon that you are in Ireland. Maybe we could get a Pig People organisation going.

I can give you some contacts that would be interested in joining - I was going to set up a group in Eire but after my experience with other groups we have decided its not for us too time consuming and far too many "Morgan's" in this world :o ;D ;)  (Only joking Ha Ha  - but many a true word spoken in jest!)

Good luck though - it is a good idea - We know a lot of people in the South who would love to have "Just for fun and the kids Pig Shows" :pig:
You know  Curliest Tale - one with the most spots - etc.  There is nothing on pigs in the local agricultural shows - and it would be good for family days out.

Good idea - good luck with it = pm us if you want contacts

Kind regards
Julie and Joe

donard

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 06:46:41 pm »
Hi Muc,

(by the way, for all you people who don't speak Irish, Muc means "pig")

Yes, I'm in Eire, way up in Northwest Donegal, though I don't know how much help I can be (location + being a newbie to pigs) What did you have in mind?

Donard

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 07:21:04 pm »

Gives a whole new meaning to happy as a pig in muck.  (Sorry couldnt resist it - blame a stressful day).

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 07:33:23 pm »
Life would be a terrible place if we couldn't have a wee joke and a laugh  ;D

And Julie on behalf of all the 'Morgan's' of this world, thanks for the compliment, even if it wasn't meant as one  ;D ;D

donard

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 07:39:07 pm »
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but who's Morgan? Sausagesandcash? I'm lost!

Donard

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »
Lol, that'd be me.  ;D

donard

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 07:45:27 pm »

Gives a whole new meaning to happy as a pig in muck.  (Sorry couldnt resist it - blame a stressful day).

LOL.

Donard

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 07:59:49 pm »
Seems to be a lot of Irish on this site - I wonder if the people/pig ratio is higher here.
Well Donard, I'm afraid I don't have any plan worked out but I do think that we non-factory pig fanciers need an organisation to promote our position. I have heard of pig-keepers being bullied by Department (Ministry) officials over not having effluent run-offs, seperate feeders and drinkers for each pig and a lot more nonsense that shouldn't apply to free-range pig-keepers.
Also, we could arrange sales for those who are in a commercial way. Personally, I would buy from a home producer and distribute and even organise for a stall in one of the local farmers' markets to sell the produce.
I found that Channel 4 programme really turned me off ever buying 'pork' in a shop again.
Do our fellow-posters in the UK have an organisation? Or in France?
Regards, Muc
PS Thanks for blowing my cover.

donard

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2009, 10:23:48 pm »

Regards, Muc
PS Thanks for blowing my cover.

LOL. Great name, though!

I will give your suggestion some thought, so far I've been confining myself to thinking up suggestions for any potential sellers.

I have posted on another forum (mainly computing and electronics, but covers a multitude), and several people have expressed an interest in buying "real" meat, though they seem more interested in beef.

That's one possible free advertising space, if we could come up with an " umbrella" name for the produce!
The product needs to be good, though, because I'm not risking my reputation on that forum! (I'm a SuperVIP and not planning to lose face, thanks!)

Iredon

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2009, 07:59:05 am »
"Do our fellow-posters in the UK have an organisation? Or in France?"

Yes there is LACEF which works tirelessly to promote outdoor rearing, good stockmanship and very high levels of animal welfare.  Their events usually incorporate a free range, high quality product meal - one practical way of showing people the difference.

There is also PIF which is more a website for smallholders, which does sterling work in encouraging free range and from this a couple of smallholder groups have startd up.  Its very small yet, but its a start.

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 09:12:17 am »
Thanks HM. I found the LACEF website and it has lots of info and food for thought.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2009, 05:58:09 pm »
Hi yes its run by a very dedicated group of people (not me I just sit on the sidelines and enjoy the fruits of all their hard work) and its getting a lot of interest. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS