Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying Pedigree Pigs - BPA Registered  (Read 9042 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Buying Pedigree Pigs - BPA Registered
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 06:49:12 pm »
I hesitate to say this as dont want to tempt the fates but a dear friend buys in loose pig food in tonnes, bags it up and the rest of us buy from him at cost (he is a darling) at 5e. 10c.  a bag, a saving of 3e.10 c per bag.  We asked at our local supplier how much for a tonne and were quoted a saving of just 35c. per bag.   It can be done you need to shop around.  Friend buys direct from the mill.

Tullywood Farm

Re: Buying Pedigree Pigs - BPA Registered
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 11:58:07 pm »
Hi Hilarysmum and everyone else as well,

I also considered buying it in bulk bags, but all the time that it would take to bag it myself would out way the extra cost in buying it bagged.
My main supplier charges €5 per ton for pelleting and €5 per ton for bagging it works out at €270 per ton the only thing is it is a 60 mile trip each way so I tend to go with my Landrover and Buy 3 ton at a time.
But when I use my local supplier (Connacht Gold) they charge €12.30 per 25KG bag, Daltons Balinamore charged me €8.40 per bag and when I have the time to travel I can get it for €6.75 per bag.
Its crazy as all the feed have the same basic ingredients and have the same Protein levels.
Hope this helps to clear up pig feed issues
Kindest regards to all
Joe

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS