Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gluten free food ideas? please!!  (Read 7241 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Gluten free food ideas? please!!
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:39:28 am »
Hi, I should follow a gluten free diet but I don't but my daughter is coming over in 2 weeks and is very much in need of gluten free stuff, I can trawl the net I know but any old trusted ideas are more than welcome.
I am best with just meat and veg or fish and salad stuff so she is probably the same
ALSO
she wants to take me out for a meal when she arrives in Edinburgh, any good restaurant's to recommend that have a good choice re gluten free food!???
Now I had had better hide all the biscuits, crisps, pies and cakes :relief:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Gluten free food ideas? please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:00:41 pm »
Sandy, contact Linz - she only eats gluten free food.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:10:05 am »
Jacket potatoes are great when you need to feed GF. Meat dishes work well if she's not veggie, just watch sauces that you might use, some have gluten added. Rice is great with things. We often have GF pasta in and make a pasta bake of some sort with our GF friend (our group has GF, lactose intolerant and veggie so it's hard finding meals to do all).

As for places to eat, can't help much but Pizza Hut has started doing GF pizza, some fish and chip places have days that they do GF. There's also a mexican place just south of waverly that marks what is GF or not. Can't remember the name for the life of me though...

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »
al ask my sister for you as she has to eat gluten free and we live in edinburgh

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:22:00 pm »
I think I have the same problems but my daughter has been very very ill with it, we are also Lactose intolerant but I eat anything and everything but now notice how ill I can be for up to an hour after food, apparently she is not digesting food so stuff she eats is not being fully absorbed so no wonder she gets dizzy and hungry.....I am now working in Edinburgh so can take a better look around, Mexican sounds good!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice......I will stock up with stuff she can eat but she eats far too much cheese and chocolate and that's not good for her either :innocent:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 05:56:42 pm »
The arla lactofree range is great, still dairy but no lactose, they have cream and ice cream. I use vitalite instead of their butter, but everything substitutes into recipies fine.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Marlboro

• Joined Jan 2013
  • West Wales
  • 42 sheep, 5 ducks 10 chickens and Meg
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:15:14 pm »
Lakeland do a wonderfull gluten free flour for bread and pastries, have used it for welsh cakes  and loads of things, pancakes are easy with it , worth trying, I used to live on cheese apples chips and crisps but over the years have widened this. Roasts are the easiest haven't used a thickener in gravy for years but cornflour is easy. Can make a lovely cauliflower cheese with cornflour to thicken the sauce. At present my daughter in law is here and she is lactose intolerent so no butter etc. which I do find difficult.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:29:44 pm »
I use GF pasta a lot, otherwise meat and veg are fine but watch the gravy.  Even Oxo has gluten. When I was first diagnosed, I bought a gluten free gravy that had very little taste so I pepped it up with a spoonful of Marmite.  Now I have discovered Bisto Best which is gluten free and very tasty.  It's amazing how much stuff has gluten in it.  My GP said that is why so many people are intolerant these days - overload.  Pringles are out but plain Hula Hoops are ok.  some chocolate has it.  If we have a snack meal out, I invariably end up with jacket potato as that's all there is.  Just as well I like them.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:44:20 pm »
Tesco own brand pringles are GF.

http://www.viva-mexico.co.uk/edin/

That's the mexican I was talking about.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 01:30:36 pm »
I know I am lactose intolerant but before I went for a dog walk I bought a multi pack of hula hoops as tv hey are not my fave crispy snack, anyway, ate 2 little bags of plain ones and within 20 mins wanted to collapse in the forest and go no further, that's happened to me a few time.....after a few hundred Bbbbbbuuuuuurrpps, I was fine again,     When will I learn?    :thinking:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook

www.sixoaks.co.uk

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 06:40:24 pm »
 :thumbsup:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:27:03 am »
Tesco own brand pringles are GF.

http://www.viva-mexico.co.uk/edin/

That's the mexican I was talking about.

Dans

It's a good Mexican too!

When I worked in the branch in Milnathort, we used to eat the GF biscuits you got in Gaicopazzi's- not because any of us were Gluten intolerant, just because the biccies were sooooooo tasty.

Beth

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 07:06:31 pm »
 :thumbsup: :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS