Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long can it take between lamb number 2 and number 3  (Read 5899 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
how long can it take between lamb number 2 and number 3
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »
Hi there, have a shetland who gave birth to two lambs about an hour ago. She licked them off and she fed them. Another water bag appeared and has burst. She is pawing the ground but other than that looking quite comfortable. There is nothing showing yet but I'm pretty sure there is a third on its way. How long should I wait before intervening. She doesn't seem to be straining or I trouble but I am worried that it might be a dead lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: how long can it take between lamb number 2 and number 3
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:59:29 pm »
Hmmm... usually you want to see numbers 2 and 3 within 20 mins of the one before when it's triplets.  I'd maybe have a gentle look-see.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:00:38 pm »
Ok, I will warm up and then go back out with the lube and peneccillin.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:01:19 pm »
I would also have thought a triplet would have come out quicker - but having said that, I had a twin born two  hours after it's sibling!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:10:25 pm »
If you gently bump her belly you'll feel if there's another there, but it won't harm to stick a hand in and check, triplets have a tendency to get in a fuddle!
Good luck  :fc:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:33:33 pm »
Ok, so shge looks like she is passing afterbirth. Still no sign of a baby although she does feel very solid still. She is very defensive and tried to but me. Shall I get someone to hold her and have a look?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:36:34 pm »
Yep, or you'll never sleep! :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:37:22 pm »
If it's afterbirth then she's probably finished.  But it's hard, not being there, to know whether it's a full-of-lamb sort of solid!  And my experience so far is with bigger, commercial types - maybe someone with primitives can comment on ways of being sure she's empty without sticking an arm up?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:37:28 pm »
Hee hee. Ok . I'll update in a bit xxx

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:58 pm »
Usually you can feel just in front of udder if you press it will be hard if lamb still there. If flexible probably empty but if not presented correct she might need help so I would check.  I have had one go 6 hours before second came out! It was perfectly healthy.

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:15:22 am »
Any news?

Not much help to you but last year we had a shetland which gave birth to a second lamb 8 days after the first. It's very unusual, but not unheard of! Both did fine.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:43:16 pm »
So she has twins. She is a bit of a spikey mum but they seem to be able to convince her to feed them OK. So it looks like it was just afterbirth. Couldn't feel a triplet with my fingers. Didn't go in too far. However, her tummy is still Very solid. Could it be bloat or something or is there a possibility of a dead lamb in there somewhere?

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 06:17:58 pm »
So she has twins. She is a bit of a spikey mum but they seem to be able to convince her to feed them OK. So it looks like it was just afterbirth. Couldn't feel a triplet with my fingers. Didn't go in too far. However, her tummy is still Very solid. Could it be bloat or something or is there a possibility of a dead lamb in there somewhere?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 07:11:10 pm »
If she looks contented and afterbirth appears to have come out then that could be her lot.  Just look out for her pawing and still looking uncomfortable.  You need to get your hand through the cervix to be able to tell if a lamb still in. If dead, small or badly presented you won't feel in the birth canal.

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 07:14:08 pm »
Hey hey, I'm in vaguely similar predicament. One of my ewes gave birth to a single lamb (3.76kg) yesterday evening.  I helped with the birth, but was OK. 

However, I was very surprised to see only one lamb.  I had a feel inside her, and could not feel a second lamb, but I might have missed it as I really don't know what I'm doing. 

Worried that she has a second lamb which has died inside her, then not sure what would happen, would she pass it?  Tried to have another look inside her this morning but she wasn't having it, and didn't want to push it?  The ewe is eating and drinking and looking after the lamb, doesn't show any signs of distress.  Any advice welcomed?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS